Hello.. Trading up to a larger tank

I have finally gotten my 16g nano stabilized. No algae, all my water parameters are perfect however, I have a 46g bow front that I want to replace the little tank with. Some people have told me that I should move my old sand and and most of my live rock to the new tank and let it cycle (while keeping the 16 gallon running with my fish and cleaning crew ) then move my livestock..and some have suggested I just start all over with new sand... thoughts??

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'd set it up with new live sand. Add some sand from the 16 and a couple pieces of live rock and let it cycle. You could add a bacteria supplement to help. Once it has gone through the nitrogen cycle make the move and watch closely. Good luck.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I started my 40 and had my 17 running, I started with all new sand and rock. I moved a few pieces of rock over from my 17 and let the tank cycle. With good live rock and good live sand, the tank won't take long to be ready. Mine was ready in less than a week.

I was given the advice of not moving my sand over as it will kick up a lot of detritus and stored bad stuff when disturbed and moved. Ive had some say to start with all new sand and some say to get a small amount of old established sand and mix with new sand to help in "seeding". I used all new sand with a very small amount of old sand like a handful on two different sides of the new tank. I would definitely move rock over to speed cycle. I moved from a 20g long to a 30g and actually didn't even let it cycle just moved all water and all rock and added 10gallons of water almost like doing a water change. However, I would probably wait for yours to cycle a little while since it is such a gap in tank size.