HELP…newbie finishing up my first build!!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay all, I’m in the home stretch of my build and need some assistance! I’m calling on all basement sump people or those who know or have experience doing that sort of setup. Also calling on anyone who has successful experience drilling acrylic for different setups. I have/can provide beverages of your choice, some spiderman zoa frags (need to DBTC a couple as well), pizza, and some (elusive) greenbacks for help!! Late notice I know, but free all tomorrow (Saturday) and also next Saturday I believe. I also have a crappy schedule so I'm only free in the mornings, not evenings. So much going on and so busy that if I don’t get this going it’ll be after Christmas before it becomes a reality! :(

So here’s the deal. I’m a total newbie, but have a severe addiction already. I’ve spent the last 3 months on this forum and collecting tanks and equipment. Spent 3 months prior to that just researching, web surfing, and reading about the hobby/husbandry. I also started with a 28g JBJ Nano to get my feet wet. The nano has been very successful so far!

Build plan; I have a 225g FOWLR island overflow setup as a room divider of sorts. In the same room (possibly a room over, haven’t made up my mind) a 110g Reef tank setup. These will both be plumbed from my main floor to the basement and flow into the same 150g Rubbermaid stock-tank sump. I also have a 65g refugium that half of the water will flow through before dumping into the sump as well. I have a huge external skimmer with separate waste collector, good for 750-1000g gallons. Two Reeflo Hammerhead pumps and one Gen-X 70 pump. I’ll be dosing (with dosing pumps) and have a Carbon/GFO reactor as well. Two RO/DI systems and two 32g brute trash cans to use for water storage with float valves to install.

I’ve had completely conflicting recommendations, split down the middle, on whether or not to run a reef and FOWLR off the same sump. I figure I’m going to try my hand at it and see how it goes. If I have to, I’ll separate down the road if it doesn’t pan out.

Being a newbie, I have no experience even hooking up the simplest of systems. 20 years of freshwater husbandry didn’t prepare me for this hobby, except the bare essentials. I also have no life experience with plumbing whatsoever (sad I know) but have heard it’s the easiest part!?! I just need some guidance, coaching and experience on how to set all this stuff up and set it up right. I’ve read so much on how setting things up correctly will eliminate things such as “waterfalls”, flushing sounds, etc. I’d rather try to get it as close to correct from the start as possible.

So there you have it.

I’m totally open to some feedback here as well but it’s very difficult for me to take it from here to “the field” so to speak, I’m a visual learner-doer. I haven’t purchased any plumbing yet as I’m not sure how that’s even going to work, i.e. pvc, flex-tubing, etc. (hence needing help). I have TONS of misc plumbing stuff from equipment buys I’ve done (connectors, valves, old manifolds, etc).

I have lots of pics, if anyone wants or needs to see any in particular let me know. I don’t want to throw up random photos?!? Thanks all!

The Coral Shop.com

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally I'd run the 2 separate if you have the means. The reef needs more of a life support system (the refugium especially) and tying them together means if something goes foul with parameters it will pollute both tanks! Plus your reef will need more specific parameters typically with a higher salinity, more stable alk and calcium levels and lower nutrient levels. The fowlr will be producing higher nitrates etc and it is double the water volume of your reef. Much safer imo to run separate systems when possible, all my coral flats are set up this way. Rather loose one than all 3!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MTS...i've definitely heard that side of it from about 50% of people. I posted the question on RC's "FOWLR" section (since there's a LARGE audience there). It even got heated with a couple people. Many people have had great success. Have you tried this setup? Funny thing is there are alot of opinions on it, but only ONE person chimed in that had actually tried it and didn't like it. The others that had been successful obviously had experience running the setup this way.

I can't really give my experience opinion because I'm totally new. I figured based on the volume of the entire setup (not just the FOWLR) my param's should stay balanced as long as I keep on top of it. I'll have between 500-550g of volume. My skimmer is almost overkill which should help if I have any sort of decent bioload in the FO. I plan on running ALOT of macro algae in the refugium and will have tons of liverock. I may even connect one or two deep sand beds for even more bio filter. I figure as I slowly add fish I'll notice if/when things start getting out of whack based on bioload. Worst case scenario I could look at running a nitrate reactor?!?

Anyhow, that's the theory of it. Like I mentioned, I figure as I slowly add fish, I will hopefully find where my equilibrium point is when things are getting too heavy for the bioload to keep everything pristine for the reef. Feel free to let jump in here with your thoughts/experiences!!

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The benefit to combing them is that you have a larger total water volume and can centralize your skimmer, calc & CO2, ozone and reactors in a large sump. Water changes are simpler and overall maintenance is easier. This also allows you to keep critters such as angels and butterflies that you wouldn't normally be able to add to a reef.

The downside is that the tendency is to add more fish to the FOWLR than you would in a reef only system. As mentioned earlier, this results in a higher bioload and increased waste. If you can limit the number of fish and maintain regular water changes... this could work. Just remember that you should have a dedicated QT system as you won't be able to treat the fish only system in case of disease.

Resist the urge to add one more fish and you should be fine. :)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Exactly my thoughts. I wanted to centralize/utilize all my equipment as some of it is meant for high volume systems. I absolutely LOVE angels and several other fish that aren't reef friendly. Hence the FOWLR. Figured I would try my hand at this and take it slowly and deliberately. I definitely plan on having a QT tank, especially with this setup. And I'll TRY to resist the urge. ;)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK...I'm not getting much, if any, volunteers to assist. Should I break down the finish of the build into stages to be more specific about what I need help with?? Just looking for some feedback here.

Also, I guess if I don't get any offers to help, I can try and start throwing up detailed/specific question's so I do this right.

Thoughts??

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im happy to help where i can. But remeber i am still very new as well can we say the blind leading the blind. Lol While I dont comfortable guiding you on how your setup should be configured i do consider myself very skilled in all forms of construction, plumbing, electrical, fabrication etc. I have some other commitments i have to clear first but if i have the time on a day you have planned you can count on me to help.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once you get this finished you are going to be a pro. Wish I had more info then that, but when it comes to big tanks I have no clue.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd think you'd have plenty of reefing peeps in the springs. Sorry pal, the only thing I can advise is to do what I always do first; draw it up and throw the sketch up on the forums. Pictures usually help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
kalgra;115079 said:
Im happy to help where i can. But remeber i am still very new as well can we say the blind leading the blind. Lol While I dont comfortable guiding you on how your setup should be configured i do consider myself very skilled in all forms of construction, plumbing, electrical, fabrication etc. I have some other commitments i have to clear first but if i have the time on a day you have planned you can count on me to help.
Thanks Kris!! I will definitely hit you up on some of your skills at some point! And I know you've got 'em...I've seen the fish room!! I appreciate the offer. I think I might be trying to enlist some help this Saturday. I'll be out of town the next three weekends...so it would be nice to make some big progress or best case, get water flowing!!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;115097 said:
Once you get this finished you are going to be a pro. Wish I had more info then that, but when it comes to big tanks I have no clue.
LOL..no joke! And we're in the same boat with big tanks. ;)

rockys_pride;115252 said:
I'd think you'd have plenty of reefing peeps in the springs. Sorry pal, the only thing I can advise is to do what I always do first; draw it up and throw the sketch up on the forums. Pictures usually help.
Springs??

Yeah, I've drawn up some planning diagrams. However, I can't even make up my mind on those, because I truly don't have a clue how it will all come together in the best fashion. The refugium will sit on top of the sump. The skimmer and pump are both external. So it seems like it wouldn't be too much brain damage. I have no experience with any sizable skimmers, so that would be a big one. I've searched a bit and can't find an instruction manual online for the skimmer. I'm sure any of you guys that have experience with multiple skimmers would be able to figure this thing out though.

Good idea though, I'll put up pics of the equipment and area where it's going hopefully soon since you planted the thought.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
For anyone willing/able and free...I'm ready to get some hands on input tomorrow or Saturday. I wish I was going to the meeting, but Sunday's are out for me unfortunately. :( If anyone is up for it, let me know!

At this point, I'm specifically looking for help setting up final design/layout of equipment and the necessary/proper plumbing, to include sizing. Here are some photo's just to give an idea.

Sump will be setup just like this, only no skimmer inside (it's external).

Hay looks good I might be able to help a little sat? Let me know time and place or give me a call 3038423852! My build is on hold but just finished my plumbing if anything I'll just give ya my input!

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I believe that is Jon's old sump. You know its him you have to blame for me pestering you with so many emails a few years back he was the one that gave me your email address. Have known Jon for a long time we were old Audi buddies together.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wish I could come, but we already have plans to shop for a house this weekend.

I wanted to check to see if you spoke with a structural engineer about the weight of the tanks? I'm almost certain that the FOWLR will need extra support in the basement. The 110G might be fine because it looks like it is beside a weight bearing wall and probably sitting across 3 beams. The FOWLER on the other hand looks like it will be sitting on 2 beams (if your lucky) and running out to the middle of the beam. There is probably metal beam running from where the support wall ends under the 110G to the other end of the house (probably the kitchen) which is the other side of the beams the FOWLR will sit on. These beams need to be reinforced.

You should check this before you start filling the tanks with water.

BTW. The way the beams run is just speculation based on the pictures you gave us. It is possible that there is a metal support beam under where you are placing the FOWLR which would be more than enough to hold the weight of the FOWLR, but then the 110 would be next to a support wall with half it's weight in the middle of a beam and should be reinforced.

David

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;115442 said:
See it is these types of setups that make my wife cringe and tells me she won't ever allow me to setup a large tank.
I joked in a thread yesterday about the wife complaining about the tank being too loud...then her making the decision to move the sump to the basement. It just occurred to me that I could swap out my MD30 for my MD100 and it would sound like a lawnmower in my living room. Dang, why didn't I think of this before!?

KA, yeah, Jon took me for a spin in his car once. It had 4x the horsepower of my YJ (no joke). I've been on roller coasters with less pep.

Shelby, your bear is out of place BTW. It's totally screwing up your fung shui. :) Nice basement - I can't wait to see the followup photos!