Transporting corals from another counrty

Lmmchops

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just wondering if anybody has brought corals from out of the country. I am going to Montreal this weekend and found a reef store there and am planning on stopping in and checking it out and wanted to see if anybody has experience with this whether it be flying back with it or mailing to yourself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using MASC mobile app

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Basically impossible to do legally, need to get CITES permits and of through Department of Agriculture for inspections.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Somewhat unrelated but I had the FBI get involved with a shipment I sent to Illinois a few years back originating from WA. The “package” was evidently wrapped like grade A “blow”. The package was delayed in DeMoines in a snow storm which caused the death of a few coral and was evidently alerted on by some drug sniffing dogs once it hit Moline. Must have smelled like liquid death.

End story was that the local FBI field office opened the package at their desk only to find multiple layers of duct tape and baggies with some sort or rotten flesh inside. I can’t imagine how bad dead coral smells in an office cubical. They showed up to my friend’s house with the package asking for clarification. His wife had to try to explain.

Funny thing is that a few corals actually lived through the experience! Plus my friend got a good war-story to go along with his free coral.

I’m sure this story doesn’t help much. Good luck getting it over the border! Keep in mind weather complications even if you get the governmental red tape figured out.

Lmmchops

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the insight I probably wont be bringing anything back just because of the permits and all. That is one heck of a story though haha

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Just wondering if anybody has brought corals from out of the country. I am going to Montreal this weekend and found a reef store there and am planning on stopping in and checking it out and wanted to see if anybody has experience with this whether it be flying back with it or mailing to yourself.

Ya, wouldn't try it unless you have a sure fire 'in' to the Dept. of Ag. otherwise the penalties are pretty stiff, including quite a bit of jail time. You might ask the shop if they have permits to ship across the border though. Kind of unlikely, but if they do, then they could ship it to you without issue, but dont try it yourself.