Help - Hyposalinity in a fish only display tank?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm considering trying this. My tank is a FOWLR. I've run copper in it and other meds, not really worried about converting to reef.

Am I crazy to give this a shot?

With refractometer and ATO, of course!

LMK your thoughts. Has anyone tried it?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pull all live rock. The hypo will kill all the bacteria in the live rock and you'll basically have to re-cycle your tank when you bring the salinity back up.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drew, thanks! And, d'oh, look like I have to try something else...

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im doing it right now. Had a bad ich outbreak. Pulled the corals and inverts and put them in a separate tank, fish are doing great now. I am running just below 1.010 salinity. I have an ato so parameters are very stable. The only big thing is a bright green algae will grow on rocks or anything left in the tank. Gonna run hypo for 2 months.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
so the rock/sand is still in the tank? when did you start?

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, i left the rock and sand in based off an article i read on RC. I have a 125g refugium thats housing corals, inverts lr and ls so when i raise the salinity i simply hook it back up to the main tank and it will be a short cycle. I can tell you in my dt nothing has survived outside of the fish, but they are currently ich free and happy.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Temperature the same?

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
78 degrees. I think it has worked out so well because of the larger water volume. I have read on smaller qt tanks for example it can be a little more difficult.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, I think I will give this a go in my main tank. I'll stock up on bacterial supplements and Dr. Tim's in case the bacterial filter takes a nosedive...that way I can roll back if the live rock doesn't like hypo.

I'm wondering how I should plan the rest of my stocking list. Should I rush them in, so they get the hypo treatment as well? Seems I should....any thoughts on this?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't see why not. Just be careful as not all fish can handle hypo.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, do you know which fish can't handle it? Great point, need to research that

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So if you are qt'ing why not add all you want. I am. Just make sure you give it a full 8 weeks for the qt. I would recommend dropping your salinity, making sure its stable and then start adding. I havent had any issues with the fish i have in it. Tangs, angels, blennies, chromis, wrasse, cardinals, blennies.....

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So just google hyposalinity Reef central. It should show A threads tagged With hyposalinity icon. Read those for some good info.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK you're blazing the trail, now I'm right behind you.. Just did a 40G change to start the salinity drop. Wow, what a dangerously great idea on adding all the fish I want now. Too bad I didn't think about this last week before black friday...

Fractometer gets here tomorrow...got a porc puffer who's in rough shape from Ich so hopefully this drop helps him round the bend...

I found that thread on RC, great insights. Do you see any algae impact? Will my coralline die? I was going to start chaeto in my sump - should I just wait until after HS?

THANKS GUYS.

bigfoot610;208307 said:
i would run alot of cuprisorb to try and get all that copper out of your tank copper is very very bad to reef inhabitants
It's not a reef just fish and live rock/sand I think.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;208306 said:
OK you're blazing the trail, now I'm right behind you.. Just did a 40G change to start the salinity drop. Wow, what a dangerously great idea on adding all the fish I want now. Too bad I didn't think about this last week before black friday...

Fractometer gets here tomorrow...got a porc puffer who's in rough shape from Ich so hopefully this drop helps him round the bend...

I found that thread on RC, great insights. Do you see any algae impact? Will my coralline die? I was going to start chaeto in my sump - should I just wait until after HS?

THANKS GUYS.
Coralline will die. Would hold off on the chaeto, however if you still do try it let us know if it works. Also be sure to wet skim. My skimmer still pulls a lot of gunk but i have to wet skim to do it. Do not add any fish until you do not see anymore ich on your current inhabitants. Hope the puffer makes it.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome, will do. Will coralline come back? Maybe I should pull a rock out and re-add it after a 3 month fallow tank run, so the coralline will regrow?

This will be a good test on what I'm dealing with. This Ich has survived Cupramine and Crypto Pro. And killed about $1K of fish. So it appears to be "super ich" or some other external parasitic pathogen that doesn't die easily.

On Cuprisorb, I actually have been running it (at 3x weight) for a few months, so I should be well past the copper.

Fun times...I'll repost progress/results.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Coralline will come back. Save a rock if you can to speed up the process, if not buy one at the lfs when the time comes. My salinity is just below 1.010 and seems to be working great.