Help - ICK!!!!

Dub_G

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had my tank up for about two months now. I started with some dry rock and everything cycled great. I was told by a LFS that after the cycle was complete that I should then go ahead and add some mature live rock. So Saturday I bought some live rock and added directly to the aquarium. Since I've only bought 4 fish and got everything from the same store I thought I could get away without a QT to start with.

Does anybody have a spare QT that I buy on the cheap or borrow so I can treat the ick without damaging the display tank since I want to put corals in there.

And lesson learned!!!

Thanks!

Dub_G

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Two clowns, fairy wrasse and coral beauty angel. So 10 or 20 gallon should be okay to help me get through this.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;n650047 said:
do all 4 of the fish have it? or only the angel and clowns? as for size I was wondering the display tank size.
When it comes to Ich - if the tank has it, all fish have it. They just may all not show signs.

Dub_G - You cannot just treat the fish without doing something to the tank. That means either emptying the DT and allowing everything to dry out (tank, sump, skimmer, plumbing, rocks, new sand or current sand able to dry out completely for days) and then re-starting it , or allowing to run fallow (without fish) for 72 days. The best way to treat your fish is with the TTM (Tank Transfer Method). If you need some guidance, let me know.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;n650070 said:
When it comes to Ich - if the tank has it, all fish have it. They just may all not show signs.
I am asking as it may not be ick. It may be brook or velvet. Wrasses never show signs of ick so it can help identify the disease. If its ick it can be managed via reducing the stressers in the tank, feeding more, removing a bully fish, reducing nitrates, and having a proper sized tank.

Seth is correct. If it's ICH, you can treat by the reduction of several things and medicating. I believe he said it has no corals. You can QT the live rock if you're worried about it but just treat the fish and reduce some.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Dub_G

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the replies everybody. I made the initial "diagnosis" of ick purely because of white spots on the fish and the way the fish were swimming and scratching on rocks. After talking with the owner of Liquid Kingdom - I'm not sure that it is ick. Especially after coming home yesterday afternoon and the fish showing almost no signs of distress and even the spots were gone. They were all swimming and ate very well. With the exception of the Coral Beauty Angel. He has been hiding in one of the caves and has refused to come out during feedings, but the spots that he was covered with in the morning were gone.

This morning again some of the fish were covered with white spots - mainly the wrasse and one of the clowns. But they ate good and were swimming around fine. The angel doesn't have any spots on him. This afternoon everybody is looking great. The angel is finally starting to come out. But if I walk by the tank he darts back into the safety of his cave.

Liquid Kingdom did a water test and the only problem he found was my pH was a little low at 8.1. I bought some pH buffer and dosed it last night.

I'm at a loss for what is causing the distress of the fish, especially at night. Any ideas?

Thanks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Where does the wrasse sleep at night? To me it sounds like they are sleeping near or around the sand bed and just getting some grains on them at night/morning.
You might try looking in on the tank at night with a red light and see if you can see where they are sleeping or what might be agitating them int he night

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Liquid kingdom. The source of my ich and associated problems

Treat all your fish. Most likely they've all got it. Pm me for more details.

I've got 41 days to go on a fallow tank

Watch out for aptasia in any live rock out of there too