Help w/red algae ID

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got some kind of red algae that is starting to get out of control? Anyone know what it is?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No not on the right, it is very short and reminds me of a scrub pad.

I will try and get a better pic.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a better picture.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it bad good?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 Red Turf algae. Very difficult to get rid of.

Suggestions:
Tuxedo Urchin
Mexican Turbo Snails

I have emerald crabs in my tank and I see them pulling at it but not sure if they are denting it yet. Good luck, this crap is so tough I cant even pull it out manually.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;132611 said:
+1 Red Turf algae. Very difficult to get rid of.

Suggestions:
Tuxedo Urchin
Mexican Turbo Snails

I have emerald crabs in my tank and I see them pulling at it but not sure if they are denting it yet. Good luck, this crap is so tough I cant even pull it out manually.
Yeah I have tried scraping it with my nails, tooth brushes, razors, you name it and it just laughs at me.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=81

Gelidium, Red Wiry Turf Algae

Many species of short creeping red algae exist so the hobby generally lumps all of them under the heading "Gelidium", (the genus that is home to many of those species), and the common name Red Turf Algae, or Red Wiry Algae.
Manual Removal - Difficult. Macros that have fragile runners and creep along the rock are the hardest to manually remove. Do the best you can. Use a dental pick to do the most damage, DO NOT BRUSH. You will dislodge it and spread it. Yeah I know, it is boring as can be, but if you do it once surgically with a dental pick the problem goes away for good. If you can take the rock out, all the better.
Clean Up Crew- Emerald Crabs, urchins, sea hares, and large turbos.

Tip - Don't pass on frags with this stuff, don't put one in your tank. This algae has become extremely common on traded/aquacultured frags. So my advice is every time you add a coral or a rock look for it from now on.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Kris, that helps a ton.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Not sure the size of your tank, I have a 180. Added 2 emerald crabs and upped the turbo snail count and red turf algea is completley gone.