Help!

There's this brown stuff covering my corals and it's bleaching and killing some of my sps. I think it's brown Jelly but I'm not sure please help and how can I get rid of it?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Turkey baster. The pics look like Cyanobacteria... What's your parameters look like. Alk, ph, and phosphate. How old is the tank? What kind of rock, lighting and schedule? Later source and movement in the tank.

Dr.HarlemTutu;640520 said:
Turkey baster. The pics look like Cyanobacteria... What's your parameters look like. Alk, ph, and phosphate. How old is the tank? What kind of rock, lighting and schedule? Later source and movement in the tank.
Wow thank you I went over everything with a turkey baster and it came right off would I need more flow in my tank or what would you recommend?

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
chemiclean......kills the red stuff. I had some of it grow in my tank when i set it up. Added a pump for more flow and its never came back so far

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You just added a 3rd LED light, did you phase that in or bring it on for a full 8 or 10 hours like your other LED's? If you didn't have cyano before the light, then added a new light, and now have an algae outbreak....I'd tend to think the light was one of the contributors to the problem.

TheRealChrisBrown;640527 said:
You just added a 3rd LED light, did you phase that in or bring it on for a full 8 or 10 hours like your other LED's? If you didn't have cyano before the light, then added a new light, and now have an algae outbreak....I'd tend to think the light was one of the contributors to the problem.
Yes I just added the ocean revive do you think that's what caused it? I also did add it to the same routine I run my other LEDs

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I would start with the new light being on for 2 hours a day, 7 days later bump it up to 3, 7 days later bump it up to 4.....etc.

You can siphon the cyano off when you do water changes. If you have urchins they usually eat it. Chemical additives can be used but extremely cautiously when corals are present, especially sps. If you've never had it before, than I'd think reducing the photo period would be a good start and then siphon what you can off.

rjl45

Clown Fish
TheRealChrisBrown;640532 said:
I would start with the new light being on for 2 hours a day, 7 days later....etc..
+1
Adding a new light is a significant change to your system. I think you'll have better luck if you slowly acclimate over time.

TheRealChrisBrown;640532 said:
I would start with the new light being on for 2 hours a day, 7 days later bump it up to 3, 7 days later bump it up to 4.....etc.

You can siphon the cyano off when you do water changes. If you have urchins they usually eat it. Chemical additives can be used but extremely cautiously when corals are present, especially sps. If you've never had it before, than I'd think reducing the photo period would be a good start and then siphon what you can off.[/QUOTEokay thank you I'm also going to add more flow to the tank clean the return pump and power heads

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
And yes chemiclean does kill the cyano. If you've found the source, lighting surely is playing into it, then it'll not come back. What kind of power head are you using. I still think you could increase your flow.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mabaeza15;n640521 said:
Everything is good I haven't tested my phosphate but I'll do that now akl-9 ph-8.4

Just a heads up, when you say everything is good. It does not help us give suggestions. When something is going wrong you should always post calc, alk, mag, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.

As for more flow, if you are low on fish funds, I recommend getting a jebao and if you have a good ammount, get yourself a vortec.

Dr.HarlemTutu;640546 said:
And yes chemiclean does kill the cyano. If you've found the source, lighting surely is playing into it, then it'll not come back. What kind of power head are you using. I still think you could increase your flow.
I have the ocean pulse duo Accela I thought they would have done the trick but I guess not. I just received my new rock I bought today and added it I also added a spare small power head and it seams to be doing better. I set the new led to 50% blue and 10% full spectrum. Would that chemiclean hurt any of my corals l, fish or invertebrates? I also added a small clam and would add marine snow every day would that have anything to do with it I added maybe a cap a day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I don't know that power head. Chemi clean doesn't directly effect anything in your tank. You do need to watch and keep the flow up in the tank as it can effect the o2 in the tank. Read a lot before using! Marine snow can contribute to cyano and other algae. Cut back the use if you ask me.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heck if really broke, cheaper than jebao is just get some used next to free koralia old school power heads. Zero control or fancyness but price is usually right.

I think I found the issue phosphate is at 1.5 my old test kit would say it was at 0 so I was thinking my Sump was on point but then I bought a new test kit to make sure and phosphates are high!!

Last edited by a moderator:

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;n640628 said:
Chemi clean doesn't directly effect anything in your tank
That's not really true. Chemiclean is basically an antibiotic (Erythromycin) and the reason it kills off cyano is because that it is a bacteria. The problem with chemiclean and the reason I would caution anyone against using it and only after you have tried other solutions is it will decimate the rest of your bacteria and more then likely kick off a cycle in your tank as the bacteria fight to expand and start to compete again until they balance out.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;n640527 said:
In addition to this I personally have experienced an issue similar to yours when adding a 3rd led to my frag tank. Something about the spectrum from the LEDs coupled with high phosphate levels triggered it. I had slacked on changing my gfo causing the outbreak but what was really blowing my mind was how the stuff only popped up in the frag tank despite being plumbed into a much larger system with other tanks, not only that but it popped up directly under the LEDs and nowhere else. The fix for me was to change my gfo and I cut my red and green LEDs back.

Speaking to what Chemiclean is the box states that it is not erythromycin succinate however erythromycin sulfate or another erythromycin/antibiotic was found as an active ingredient. It has been banned in many European countries because of this as antibiotics can only be prescribed by a licensed physician there. Boyd's own refusal to list the ingredients is suspect to me and should be to every reefer. There have been many claims of both success and failure using Chemiclean but no sound science behind whether it was ever the reason for success only anecdotal stories. Aside from what Chemiclean is or isn't I believe you may have found the issue with high phosphates which can be remedied a number of ways without resorting to the use of snake oils that do more to separate you from your money than fix the actual underlying issues.