Here we go again

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know it's come up before, but it's getting ridiculous the way people are treating each other on this forum, and I have to say something before my head explodes. The lowballing, name calling, and lousy behavior need to stop. If I want to deal with craigslisters, then I do business on craigslist. MASC is not a glorified craiglist, but lately it has felt like that.
Some examples
Mike was recently lowballed on items he listed for sale within hours of listing them, and then called a d*****bag when we wouldn't agree to their requested price. By a nonmember.
Not long ago, I was pushed aside after expressing an interest in buying an item by someone else who charged in and just had to have it. I bowed out as gracefully as I could manage. I was later contacted by the seller when the nonmember who bulldozed over me failed to follow through, to ask if I was still interested.
I recently had a nonmember message me out of the blue asking for free chaeto because I had offered some to a fellow member who needed it. A member would know better than to ask for free stuff.
Last night a nonmember listed a pair of nanos for sale and I was the first to express interest on their thread. Two others also expressed interest. The seller never responded to me, and later said they had 2 people that were interested, and someone coming over. That's crap, quite frankly.
I expect different behavior from people on here, and I've gotten good results when dealing with members, generally speaking. However, nonmembers have no idea what this club is about, and are treating it like a craigslist that they have to register for. I'm tired of that. If we aren't going to limit nonmembers from conducting business, then we need to do something to instruct newbies on what this club is about and how we treat each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I feel ya Cindy, ive recently been stepped on by a few non members and a member as well. Sales and purchases should be open to members only. Ive been on plenty of other forums where this is the case.

And for who ever called Mike a dbag, well, my thoughts are not so nice, that's not cool at all. Behavior like that should result in bans.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Here we go again

ReefCheif;247649 said:
And for who ever called Mike a dbag, well, my thoughts are not so nice, that's not cool at all. Behavior like that should result in bans.
+1 that's ridiculous

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm tired of the people signing up just to sell crap and than they treat everyone else like crap and start acting like the world revolves around them. What happened to the 50 posts before you can post in the classifieds. This is a must!!!!!!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It really isn't that hard to reach 50 posts if you are participating in the forums. But I think that membership has its privileges. After meeting just a few members at Reefstock I was eager to join and paid dues. I have also attended the last two meetings including the one all the way up in Fort Collins. So becoming a member is not that difficult. Maybe a work around would be to post in the member classifieds if these kind of problems persist.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Andrew_bram;247656 said:
+1. Whole reason for my other post.
I see what you were getting at now. :)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
At least most of the people who act like that are not around for long. Most people around here are super generous. just got back from charlie's place, who has 2 great tanks, to look at his welded stand, he offered to help me out when I am ready. Mike and Cindy are coming over tomorrow to help me with my lights (I think). I know that the a holes are hard to deal with!! believe me I do. I try to think about the majority who are stand up people. I'm not dismissing your point cindy, just trying to put perspective that I can live with.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
You are absolutely correct that there are some amazing folks in this club. (yes, we're gonna help you with the lights. LOL) And most of the time I try to focus more on those people than I do on the 'lost craigslisters' that are mucking up the place, but it just seems like it is getting worse lately. And I was really cranky.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have been too! And yes, I think it's been worse the last several weeks. ****es me off, took me a long time to even post here. Now I feel like I have some good friends that I trust. Sucks to see people come on and take advantage of the trust others have built.

Posts in for sale threads that say things like "I'll take it" and then no follow up. It makes it harder to sell because it looks like it is spoken for or bad quality and someone backed out... If you change your mind for some reason communicate people.

Nuff said by me...

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here we go again

I don't even look at non members anymore. I feel bad because I know I wasn't a member for a while however I think people know I had good intentions while I waited for my meetings donated to good cause and built some good friendships.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Re: Here we go again

I am in the springs and I am a very active member on the scmas forum. I have done some good business with a few people from masc and at my first meeting at craigs house I was very astonished by the community and paid my dues on the spot. I di not post regularly because i am so far away but I agree with everything that has been said here and stand up for these values in scmas as well. Most of the time i read the daily messages from masc just to see if there is any new info or research that i can do to better my knowledge of the hobby. I woulld like to also add (to everyone) that if you are not involved with a trade or purchase please refrain frim pitching in your 0.02. I recently tried to gathrr enough people in the springs (from scmas to come together, to chip in and buy some colonies of polyps from a masc member and at last minute we had a few people back out. The masc member was immediately notified so that he could repost his colonies on the forum and sell his corals as quick as possible to help pay some bills, due to his wife being in the hospitol. Today another masc member decided to write his 0.02 about the situation that he new nothing about to include some namecalling etc... Moral of the story is drama like this is unneeded and doesnt belong in the hobby.

Cindy i met you at craigars and you seemed to be a sweetheart. Keep your head up and druve on. Good things will happen and members will always take care of other members (90 percent of us at least)Dont sweat these guys.

Sorry for the book

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
static reef;247703 said:
Cindy i met you at craigars and you seemed to be a sweetheart. Keep your head up and druve on. Good things will happen and members will always take care of other members (90 percent of us at least)Dont sweat these guys.
Boy, have I got you fooled! :rofl: JK. You're right, tho- this club saved me from a really bad situation, and I've met some amazing individuals here. I just can't stand the idea of a good group of people getting overrun by riff raff, and that's what seems to be happening.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yikes. Hope the dbag that called Mike a dbag was banned. Technically bylaws and policy only apply to membership for clubs, so the nonmembers that blow into town can/should be kicked right back out if they don't want to be respectful of the club members? My view.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;247769 said:
Yikes. Hope the dbag that called Mike a dbag was banned. Technically bylaws and policy only apply to membership for clubs, so the nonmembers that blow into town can/should be kicked right back out if they don't want to be respectful of the club members? My view.
exactly. Nonmembers should not be handled with kid gloves, IMHO. Egregious behavior should have consequences.

AllysonP

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
+++++++1. one of my pet peeves is rudeness. i should hang a sign in my house that says your attitude affects the price lol. i agree with you all though. name calling is absolutely uncalled for. it shows you in the future who to do business with and who to stay away from.