RedSea 750 XXL build

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello all! It’s been a long time since I have posted anything on here but it is finally time for me to get a new tank. My wife and I just bought a new house and she gave me the green light to upgrade. I have been running a 40g breeder for years but it just hasn’t been holding the interest for me that it once did. I am excited to get this tank and get it up and running. The tank should be here next weekend and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to get for equipment. Some items I already have from the 40 and others I need to order still. Here is what I am thinking.

RedSea 750XXL 71”x 25.5” x 23.5” 160g display 200g total volume

Apex with 2 EB-8 (have)
Aquatic Life Hybrid t5 (new one coming out soon)
2 kessil a160w (have)
2 kessil a360w
Kessil H80 refugium light (have)
Kessil Spectral controller (have)
Gyre xf350
Vortech mp-10 (have)
Sicce Syncra 5.0 return pump
Redsea RSK 600 protein skimmer
Magus BM-T01 dosing
Jager trutemp 300w heater
125 lbs Marco rock reef saver
15 lbs Marco rock shelf
40 lbs live rock from old tank
140 lbs pink Fiji sand
Instant Ocean reef salt

Let me know what you guys think as far as the equipment list goes. Based on my calculations, if everything is maxed out, I should have a total combined flow of around 8,000 gph.

This will be a mixed reef with SPS being dominant. I understand the limitations of Kessils or but I feel like with the t5 and 4 kessils, it should do well with the sps.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have the same tank in the library here at school. I will tell you the ATO reservoir is small and only lasts 3-4 days. I am running 3 WAVs for circulation. I have a Kessil AP700 and 2 Radions for the DT lighting. If I could get a deal on another AP700 I would just be running 2 of those. I like the look and the light. They are really nice tanks and super easy to set up. Looks like a good list.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the same tank in the library here at school. I will tell you the ATO reservoir is small and only lasts 3-4 days. I am running 3 WAVs for circulation. I have a Kessil AP700 and 2 Radions for the DT lighting. If I could get a deal on another AP700 I would just be running 2 of those. I like the look and the light. They are really nice tanks and super easy to set up. Looks like a good list.
Yeah, I was worried about the ATO too. Most likely, I will run a line from the basement ro/di station to the ATO or I will add another container on the dry side. I was also considering the ap700 over the 2 360’s but not sure if the spread will be enough since I only have the 160’s to run on either side of the tank. I do have an old 350 that I could install and run on a timer but it’s not controllable so not sure if I will use that one or not.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Two AP700's would be adequate, but not one alone. For my ATO I have a 10 gallon in the cabinet that runs to the the built in ATO and just tops that off since the built in one is hard to top off too.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I’ll be mixing in the t5’s to reall add a lot more par to the 4 kessils I will be running. I’ll definitely have to think about the ATO more. Thanks for the info.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Turns out the mp10 doesn’t work on 3/4” thick glass so, I have to look at other options. What I am thinking is getting 2 Gyres. Set one horizontally on the top and one vertically in the back on the opposing side. Then maybe add 2 mp40’s to the back to hit dead spots and add more turbulence. Or, get 4 mp40’s

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My tank has a similar footprint to yours. I have two WAV pumps (very similar to the mp40 IMHO) and a gyre. I’m happy with the flow and the noise level. I like the variety of a couple different kinds of pumps

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is here

Thanks Cris and the gang over at Aquatic Art. I can’t say enough about how awesome that store is. I am lucky to have it so close too. Also thanks to Val for helping with the move. Much appreciated!

We got the tank in to the living room and now I need to get the stand done.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That is a pretty tank! cant wait to see it filled

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hoping I can get some input. The tank estimated fill weight is about 2500 lbs. Dimensions are 71” L x 25.6” D x 23.6” H

Question is, can my floor handle this weight? It is the main floor of the house with a basement below. The braces underneath are 2” x 8” and the tank would be over 4 beams and against the wall that has the floor joists but would not be sitting over the floor joists. The right side air duct is the outside edge of the tank. Thanks in advance!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’m not an engineer but am absolutely sure that will be fine. I had a 220 in that same situation with no issues as well as a 5 foot 175 in another house. As long as it’s near the wall and spans a the 4 joists. Also, Chris Capp is a pro, he would have questioned you if he was at all worried.

Nice tank by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Worst case scenario you have a big insurance claim and get to remodel your house

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yeah, that and my wife would kill me.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks!
Honor an engineer but am absolutely sure that will be fine. I had a 220 in that same situation with no issues as well as a 5 foot 175 in another house. As long as it’s near the wall and spans a the 4 joists. Also, Chris Capp is a pro, he would have questioned you if he was at all worried.

Nice tank by the way!

I am loving the dimensions so far, especially after a 40g breeder. Cris and I did discuss it but he didn’t have as much information as I have provided here. We had figured it would be safe but just wanted to see what others though as well. Based off my research, I should be okay but would feel better if I put some more joists and another beam.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stand is just about done, just need to round the troops again to throw the tank on and make sure it’s level. I am thinking I will probably sister the joints, just to be on the safe side.