HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank Specs and Equipment:

Oceanic 92 Gallon Bow Front w/ cherry wood stand and canopy
Bubble Magus NAC6 Skimmer
29g Sump/ fuge
Phosban Reactor w/ Rowaphos
Aqua Medic 48" 2x250w MH DE HQI Ocean Light w/ t5's - right now it has 14k Ushios...phoenix bulbs on the way
Corallife 9W UV sterilizer
Mag 12 Return Pump
Koralia 3
Koralia 4
200w Ebo Jaeger heater

Here is my 92 bow front that I decided to replace my RSM 34 with. I bought this on Mother's day weekend and it was in an office building 3 floors up(very interesting on breaking the tank down and hauling it off). The tank was filthy and the rock was covered in Hair Algae so bad that you could not even see a piece of rock. I spray painted the back of the tank black. Well I cleaned the tank up and left the rock out for a few days and than I decided to pressure wash it to get the hair algae off. It was mostly branching Tonga and I had a few pieces laying around to incorporate with it.

I filled it up about 2 weeks ago to the day so it is cycling. I will try and get some FTS shots with a better camera soon. Tell me what you think of the scaping. Keep in mind that it is very narrow on the ends making extremely difficult to scape. First are the pics of what it looked like before I broke it down.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok here is the scaping that I did...what do you think....It is killing me to not add any corals for this long.

Here you go. Sorry for the crappy pics.

And the Mad Scientist behind this whole project....LOL!!!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Love the scape! Great job getting rid of all that algae!

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;95719 said:
nice brother how far a you from the cycle
I think I am about a week and a half out. I can't find the vials to my test kits so I am not sure yet. I will get some better pics up too. The camera on my iphone blows....

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow that was some hair algae... I am liking the rock scape...

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;95723 said:
Wow that was some hair algae... I am liking the rock scape...
Thanks! I was not sure how it would come out using mostly Tonga Branch Rock. You never really see any tanks scaped with that type of rock. If you do it is usually just a few pieces. I think I am digging it a lil jand ust wanted to see what other people think of it as well.

Lookin great, that algae was worse than I thought! I got the 90 up and running, hopefully I can start moving livestock over in the next day or two.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
nadking;95725 said:
Lookin great, that algae was worse than I thought! I got the 90 up and running, hopefully I can start moving livestock over in the next day or two.

Thanks Dan! I told you it was quite a bit and that was an understatement haha :). Glad to hear your 90 is close...make sure you take lots of pics. I would like to see that sump in action too ;).

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
A few pics with the halides on. Left side is a ushio 20k and the right is an ushio 14k. I am a 14k phoenix guy and can't wait to get those in from Marine Depot. Should be next week.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon (Aaron)...I need to come by tonight and grab those light blockers :)...this light is blinding me. I am going to send you PM.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Aaron for those light shades for that AM fixture you hooked me up with. Well my 250w 14K Phoenix bulbs should be in today from Marine Depot. I will take a pic and post it up. Has anyone ever have the ends of the T5's spark like it is on fire? Well mine started doing that last night. Kind of makes me think that it could set the house on fire...Always something in this hobby :).

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hoosier Daddy;96614 said:
Has anyone ever have the ends of the T5's spark like it is on fire? Well mine started doing that last night. Kind of makes me think that it could set the house on fire...Always something in this hobby :).
Sparks= fire, fire= bad things. I would have it looked at soon.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmmm is it just when it turns on or does it do it sporadically? Can you see it or just hear it?

If you think its the bulb than change the bulb to a new position and see if it does it in a diffrent socket.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;96623 said:
Hmmm is it just when it turns on or does it do it sporadically? Can you see it or just hear it?

If you think its the bulb than change the bulb to a new position and see if it does it in a diffrent socket.

It just did it last night and I moved it around until it stopped. I just put that used bulb in so it was the first time I have seen that. Not sure if that is normal. I am just worried as to if it will happen while I am gone.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Sounds like the bulbs were not making full contact with the end caps. Maybe the endcaps were bent out a bit or something of the like.

+1 to having it checked out or figuring it out soon!!

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;96643 said:
Sounds like the bulbs were not making full contact with the end caps. Maybe the endcaps were bent out a bit or something of the like.

+1 to having it checked out or figuring it out soon!!
I think it was the ends being too loose. I have not had an issue since. Well new phoenix bulbs arrived yesterday :).

Last edited by a moderator: