hope if you own Tunze's you dont like flow!

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
Mike,

I think that fact that Tunze has openly acknowledged that the test results are accurate and they admitted that they did not in fact test the pumps would make the study admissible as well as their admission.

DV3,

You know what they say, the only people that win in Class Action lawsuits are the lawyers :)

remember when blockbuster got nailed for late fees and all we got was a rent one get one free coupon? The lawyers probably got $500k in legal fees for that.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mdrumm;103647 said:
Mike,

I think that fact that Tunze has openly acknowledged that the test results are accurate and they admitted that they did not in fact test the pumps would make the study admissible as well as their admission.
Good point. I'm a little shocked they admitted that so quickly. I would have done a lot more testing if it were my butt on the line.

mdrumm;103648 said:
"I would assume somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% off LMAO."

wow...ROTFLMAO
Oops! Wait which side am I on?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So basically what you are saying Mike is that Tunze Owners will get a 20cent propeller upgrade, lawyers will get a cool mil and consumers will Tunze's new marked up price to offset the cost of the lawsuit :p

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
Did you go to law school because that is SPOT ON. By the way, you will probably have to pay a shipping and handling fee for the $.20 upgrade...somewhere around $19.95.

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
Tunze should have used the Lebron Defense: What Should I Do?
[video]http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/360451/what-should-i-do[/video]

120greefman

Wow, this thread sure took off. Don't have the desire or time to sue over something like this, just won't buy a tunze in the future for the simple fact of lieing. Still happy with the flow in my tank though.

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
Check out what 8500 gallons per hour of beautiful, non directional flow can do across 66 inches. One mp60 and I get an awesome GYRE Flow:

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only Tunze product I own is a 9010 skimmer and I am happy with it, but I prefer to buy American if I can. Which is one of two reasons I am all about Ecotech. The other being that it is the best pump design ever brought to our hobby(opinion!). As for Tunze getting sued, who cares! They aren't an American company. Put them out of business and spend your money on a quality product. It's time to stop importing overpriced, re-badged Chinese products. If you are going to buy Chinese products, at least buy direct and don't pay a middle man fee. Really two middle man fees, one to the "Manufacturer" and another to an American distributor.

djkms;103623 said:
Why do I always have to be the Ahole around here? Sorry guys but you are all fn ridiculous. Before the article came out all the tunze fanboys raved about their powerheads. Now that the article is out everyone wants a handout because Tunze miscalculated their ratings. Are your corals all of a sudden mad because they are not getting enough flow? If the flow was such a issue why didnt anyone bring this up BEFORE the article was made? If these powerheads supposedly killed your corals why didnt you try to rectify the situation before it got worse? Why didn't you add more flow? I stare at my tank for hours on end. I KNOW just by looking at my tank if my corals are getting enough flow regardless of what the package on my powerhead says.

Tunze admitted they where wrong. They are now trying to rectify the situation and make it right for their costumers and all everyone is doing now is kicking them while they are down.

This is the problem with America, everyone thinks everyone owes them something. No one takes responsibility for their own actions. It's not Tunze's fault your tank did not have enough flow, its YOURS for not judging correctly your systems needs. Take responsibility and quit placing blame. Now people are talking about suing them? Really? You guys do realize that when a company is sued and pays out on a lawsuit that that cost is eventually passed down to you, the consumer!! Insurance is a prime example. Every bitches about the cost of insurance but as soon as they have a claim they want to get paid out 200,300,400,500% more then what they put in because the big bad insurance company owes them and if they don't get what they want they hire Norton Frickey to sue the company for millions and guess what, that cost goes right back to you the consumer.

Now if you brought your issue about the mis-advertised flow up with Tunze before the article then I applaud you for doing your research and knowing that something was not right, but those who are now complaining hold no water in their argument. Sorry.

ZenMan and Mike, this is not a personal attack on you guys, please dont take it that way even though it may seem as though I am, I have read countless threads on this situation on RC and see these complaints come in recent threads and I will post this same thing on RC.
This is not the problem with America. This is what makes us great. I sold four MP40s to buy two Tunze 6305s because I wanted fewer pumps in my new show tank with more flow. Turns out by doing this I ended up with 50% less flow than if I had kept the MP40s. If you advertise something and I rely on your statement that is later proven to be false, you think I should just ignore your misstatement (lie) and do nothing?

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think everyone needs to look at the first word of the article title again. Experimental Comparison of Measured Flow Output of Aquarium Propeller Pumps. Experimental! This means unproven method. You are all jumping on the heals of test methods which are as unproven as the methods Tunze previously used. Changes to scientific knowledge never come over night, but this is what everyone seems to be going for here. Nobody has had a chance to even attempt disproving this very narrow test method yet. Like in a reef tank nothing happens fast, and this is the problem with America. This is the reason that what's is healthy for us changes every year and we follow. This is the reason why what causes cancer changes every year and we all follow. We read "studies" assume they have been proven and we follow them to the letter. I hate to say it but Americans jump before they think.

Tunze may very well be putting out lame pumps for all I know. I can't prove either way. The thing that bothers me about this is that by the time they have a chance to disprove any of this it won't be big news and nobody will notice. Welcome to the American justice system where accusations do the damage no matter what the outcome is!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ZenMan;103712 said:
This is not the problem with America. This is what makes us great. I sold four MP40s to buy two Tunze 6305s because I wanted fewer pumps in my new show tank with more flow. Turns out by doing this I ended up with 50% less flow than if I had kept the MP40s. If you advertise something and I rely on your statement that is later proven to be false, you think I should just ignore your misstatement (lie) and do nothing?
Sorry but you are not taking any responsibility here. If you sold 4 MP40's for 2 Tunze 6305's and didn't notice a lack of flow that is your fault, not Tunze's. If you can show me anywhere you complained about the Tunze flow rate before the article surfaced I will shut up. Should you be compensated for receiving half the pump you paid for, sure, I would be asking the same thing. Tunze said they are addressing the problem! You will receive your 20cent impeller for $19.95 shipping and handling, Mike Drumm will get a million dollars and the next time you buy a Tunze pump it will cost $200 more because the same Tunze fanboys that loved their pumps before the article decided to sue them now when Tunze would have just given them the upgrade free without a lawsuit.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The article follows the scientific method to the letter and I'm sure it will be very useful in the future, but the way people are interpreting it instantly as fact completely controverts scientific method.

What's happening would be like inventing the quantum meter and first introducing it by testing lights with it. You have to first test the test before it can be considered a good means of testing.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;103716 said:
Sorry but you are not taking any responsibility here. If you sold 4 MP40's for 2 Tunze 6305's and didn't notice a lack of flow that is your fault, not Tunze's. If you can show me anywhere you complained about the Tunze flow rate before the article surfaced I will shut up. Should you be compensated for receiving half the pump you paid for, sure, I would be asking the same thing. Tunze said they are addressing the problem! You will receive your 20cent impeller for $19.95 shipping and handling, Mike Drumm will get a million dollars and the next time you buy a Tunze pump it will cost $200 more because the same Tunze fanboys that loved their pumps before the article decided to sue them now when Tunze would have just given them the upgrade free without a lawsuit.

I disagree. If you bought a pump with a rated flow and started having issues, one would think that it must be something else going on since the pumps are advertised at a specific flow rate. Even if you noticed a lower flow, you might even think your seeing things since again, IT'S STATED ON THE BOX AS FACT. ;o)

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;103716 said:
Simple solution. Don't buy Tunze! If a auto shop told you you needed brakes and you knew you didn't, would you go back? If an insurance policy doesn't pay out when it should, do you buy the same insurance? If you buy something under an advertised expectancy in this country and the product doesn't meet that advertisement. We have a law to protect the consumer.

I would never pay $20 for them to resolve their mistake. They better start shipping for free. I somehow doubt Mr. Drumm is going to start a lawsuit, but there will probably be one.

mikejrice;103714 said:
Welcome to the American justice system where accusations do the damage no matter what the outcome is!
Actually we have a "Innocent until proven guilty" Philosophy here. Everyone assumes OJ and Casey Anthony were guilty however they were both found innocent due to reasonable doubt. That "Doubt" goes out the window when a statement of admission is issued.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;103716 said:

ZenMan if i'm not mistaken you did notice a significant difference in flow correct? Hence the reason you had to add the additional MP60/s to compensate?

Also I think Jeff's case is a little different here. Again I am not stating this as fact but I think Jeff had his monster (very expensive) tank designed with the intent of using the Tunze and the design was based on the flow rating s that Tunze was claiming.

I could be out of line here but if my understanding of the events that have taken place up to this point regardiing ZenMan's tank are correct he has allot of reason to be upset.

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
DJKMS,

You must have magical eyes...I am not as good as "gauging the flow." when I had koralias, I thought they were broken because I couldn't tell how much flow they had. I go off manufacturers statements because I cannot eye the flow (except for my mp60 because that is a beast!).

As always, this thread is fun. No personal attacks are intended so lets make sure we are all nice and pleasant :)