How often do you feed your fish?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
It has been brought to my attention that I don't feed enough. I still have the original frozen food I bought last july, and its only about 1/3 gone. I feed my fish every 3-4 days. Either a pinch of spiralina, formula two, pellets, or a frozen cube (I have a variety of them). Could this be why some of my fish are getting aggressive? I feed the coral more than I feed the fish!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dude,I feed daily.there was a great article on starving your reef. I will try and find it. I have seen a ton of growth with the larger feeding regiment

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
5 times a day. 4 with pellets through the auto feeder and once with a chunk of rods. Nutrient export with my macros and small water changes.

Kids don't try this at home. I'm the exception not the rule. I would say most are safe to feed once a day as much as your fish can consume in 5 minutes.

Sent from my Droid Incredible.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SOmetimes I feed my tank once a day some times twice. And other times every other day. my nutrient issues has not been an issue since I added all the macro and do weekly water changes. The only issue I have is Dkh being low.

I dunnno if dj is the exception to be brutally honest. Conditioning requires a TON of food, so long as you have good bio diversity the nutrients arent so much of an issue. Lesse....

I feed every day several times a day (whenever someone walks by the tanks) with prime reef flakes and formula one pellet, every night I mix up a nice slosher of PE mysis, Hikari mysis, some frozen brine, about 2-maybe 10 salifert scoops of spectrum filter (depends on how happy I am), a squirt or two of oyster feast if I have it on hand, and whatever else I decide I wanna toss in there. The corals get target fed then the rest of the cup gets tossed around the system to whoever. Then theres the whole 100ml / hour constant drip of whatever zooplankton cultures I have lying about.

no skimming, a little macro for export, and 10% changes weekly (sometimes I skip).

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once daily, mostly pellets(easy), but occasionally I defrost frozen. I feed my corals daily also(reef nutrition).

Nutrient Export:GFO, Carbon, Coll's style Nitrate Reactor, ASM G2(mesh mod and Sedra 5000), Chaeto Fuge, Turf Algae Scrubber plate in sump, 3000-4000gph in display(adding an MP20 for more after the meeting), 750gph through sump(return pump), 1200-2000gph. Flow prevents detritus from collecting and breaking down and keeps it moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed once/twice a day and I have the cyano to prove it. I feed my own mix of fresh seafood(squid, scallops, fish), nori, oyster feast(froze it in my mix because I couldn't use it fast enough), frozen formula 1 and 2 and seaweed. My fish are fat and healthy, my cleaner shrimp are full of eggs, clowns constantly lay eggs but yeah, cyano.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I feed a cube of hikari mysis once a day and sometimes skipping a day. I might be underfeeding since they eat the mysis in about 2 minutes or less. Sometimes I will also feed pellets for the clown fish, since they are the only ones that will eat it. I don't run my skimmer that often and my water changes happen once a month.

120greefman

I feed my tang a sheet of sea veggies once a day and always replace it daily or it goes bad and can actually poison your fish. I also try and feed half a cube of spirulina brine shrimp in the am, if I miss it no biggy. At night I do the other half of spirulina brine shrimp and then a little chunk of pe mysis. I have more fish than most people I think in my tank. I was feeding more cause my inhabitants have no problem putting all of that away but I to was getting a small case of cyano. Since I cut back feeding it seems to be going away. I don't feed my corals, they are happy with the fish poop. I just have a refugium with chaeto and run a ps for nutrient export. Also do monthly water changes. And yes when I feed my fish they eat it all in a matter of minutes. I turn off my wavemaker and cirulation pumps so it all gets eaten. Here is what I have in my 120

Yellow tang
Flame angel
3 anthias
2 percula clowns
3 firefish
4 pajama cardinals
1 black sailfin blenny
1 diamond goby
1 unknown blenny
Lots of crabs and snails
Sand sifting star
I also have a deep sand bend which I guess would count for biological filtration.

I think I'm going to copy Roggers reef food and add some aloe vera to my food as a binder. My homemade stuff breaks apart in millions of pieces and that might be contributing to my cyano.

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
i cut back to every other day to help cut down on my alge problem.New light and good flow has slowed it down.
but now my hermit crab is on the hunt all the time,Im about to throw him in the sump,I think he got my smaller hermit last nite looking for the other guy now.