Usual question...

Stalaly

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 55g mixed reef 48”x13”x18”d with a couple entry level SPS but mostly softies. At the moment I have the Orbit IC and 2 T5 actinic. I want to upgrade but the Question is: a pair of Kessil 360, Radion XR15, or Hydra 26HD? Budget is an issue but I’m willing to spring for something I can grow with.

Thanks for your .02

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally I like the Kessil AP700 and you’d only need one.
I always thought of this as 2 a360 Tuna lights but for more money. It's the same wattage from the wall.

I use the Hydra 26 HD lamps and love them. They are controlled via an app which is also pretty convenient. Most of the big names will not disappoint though. Go with what you like, many vendors have them on display.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What you have is probably fine for softies and entry level SPS.

If on a budget, something like Photon V2 or some SB Reef Lights will cover better than any of those and not cost as much. No nice apps, though... but the novelty wears off quickly anyway.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I always thought of this as 2 a360 Tuna lights but for more money. It's the same wattage from the wall.

I use the Hydra 26 HD lamps and love them. They are controlled via an app which is also pretty convenient. Most of the big names will not disappoint though. Go with what you like, many vendors have them on display.
I’ve only really had ap700’s but when I was researching them I found they have a completely different led than the a360. I forget if
It was BRS or Dana Riddle (maybe both) showed that the ap700 yielded more par and more spectrum.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have an AP700 and two early generation radions at school and I really like the AP700 the best. It has great coverage and a shimmer like halides. Coral color is good as is growth.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You won't be able to get a ap700 to spread 48 inches without raising it way up and having a lot of light spill in a tank that narrow... and a lot of shadows.

They are a pair of 360s with different lenses... for coverage, better to get two 360s so that you can spread them out more to your liking instead of having a fixed position.

Even the ap700 has weak PAR compared to other units. These are not output monsters, but they were never meant to be, but you don't need a ton of output for a softie and easy-SPS tank.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
You won't be able to get a ap700 to spread 48 inches without raising it way up and having a lot of light spill in a tank that narrow... and a lot of shadows.

They are a pair of 360s with different lenses... for coverage, better to get two 360s so that you can spread them out more to your liking instead of having a fixed position.

Even the ap700 has weak PAR compared to other units. These are not output monsters, but they were never meant to be, but you don't need a ton of output for a softie and easy-SPS tank.
Doug you don’t even like LEDs much less use them. I usually resist the urge to argue with you, but I ran an AP700 over the 48x24x36” tank in the library only 12” above the tank and the spill wasn’t bad and the light even at 36” was adequate.

ianryd

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a pair of ai hydra 26 several months ago to replace my 4 t5 bulbs over a 75 gallon. The difference in coral growth and coloration is amazing. And Im not talking about the fluorescent color from the LED, but I have new colors appearing in the corals themselves. I bought some light diffusers and they seem to help with evening the light distribution. I am now growing my first acros, which I wasnt able to do with my t5's. Im a fan!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’ve only really had ap700’s but when I was researching them I found they have a completely different led than the a360. I forget if
It was BRS or Dana Riddle (maybe both) showed that the ap700 yielded more par and more spectrum.
ah ok thanks, good to know.