How to switch tanks?

So it looks like I will be getting my new 90 gal in about a month. It will be going where my 55 is. I will use all the same rock as the 55 is pretty full. So here are my questions. Should I use the same sand and add more or just replace it? What is the best way to take every thing down and set up again? I imagine I will go through another cycle in the transfer, and don't want to kill any of the corals. What do you all think? If it is needed do any of you have room to hold some corals for me?

The new setup will be a 90 DT, plumbed to the basement to a 90 gal sump thanks to Chris (RCPilot), a 40 B as a frag tank. I will start a new build thread with the fish room and DT.

Thanks for any input.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would get new live sand.but, everything should be o.k. for corals, just watch close. I did this last December, and I was terrified. but all went well with no loss, i just had new tank syndrome for a while. but it cleared up

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO- use everything from the 55, just place the sand in first to reduce clouding, and use an airstone for the first few hours to keep the O2 level up.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it were me, I would set up the sump and 40B in the basement. Let those cycle then hold all the livestock. Get the 90 done with all the sand, rock(no animals) and then as long as there is no ammonia spike in a couple of days, turn on the plumbing and start moving things back. Better safe than sorry.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
you could use the 40 b and your current water from the 55 to hold you live stock setup like a QT make the upgrade and wait for the cycle which should be short then move every thing from the 40 b over once the mini cycle has passed

B-Willz

Angel Fish
I didnt even think about using the 40 and the sump, the 40 is all ready established so that is easy. I will just keep the valves closed to the dt until it is ready to come online. Thanks for the input. I may still need help with holding some of the larger colinies for a while.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me know. It will depend on where I am with my Peppermint Shrimp problem. Moving all of my Acans has put me into a bit of a space crunch.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I moved from a 165 to a 240 and kept all the livesand. I set up a 150 rubbermaid,my lights, a heater and a powerhead and transferred all my SPS and LPS into it with enough old water to cover my corals. I moved all the sand and liverock from the old tank into the new tank which sat in the same location. Filled the new tank with the remaining water from the old tank and new mixed water. I added my protein skimmer and a heater and ran it like this for almost a month.I plumbed my rubbermaid from the basement to the DT then ran them together for a couple of weeks.Transferred everything back, all live stock made it.