I bet I'm not the only one

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
We hear stories of tank disasters all the time but never think it will happen to us.I was fortunate and got by with a close one last week.I never noticed a little salt spray hitting the wall behind my 150 cube and rolling down the wall.Was the outlet GFCI ? Nope, is it now?Yep. I was sitting watching tv when there was a flash and the power went out.I jumped up and went to the tank and looked around and saw the outlet was smoked.I went to the breaker box and found it had tripped ( thank goodness).I left it tripped and got my back up generator going and plugged all 3 tanks into it for the night.The next day I went and got some GFCI outlets.It could have turned out really bad if I hadn't been there.All I can say is to learn from others and keep your fish friends and investments protected by simply having them on a protected outlet or a GFCI breaker. If you're some what handy they are fairly easy to install, if you're not then I would have an electrician come put them in.Happy Reefing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the water just bridged the neutral and hot prongs, a GFCI would not have tripped anyways. It needs some current flowing to the safety ground to cause an imbalance of power between a the hot supply and neutral return to trip. I had this exact thing happen last year, GFCI did not trip, as there was no imbalance in current flowing.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hardline;n667591 said:
If the water just bridged the neutral and hot prongs, a GFCI would not have tripped anyways. It needs some current flowing to the safety ground to cause an imbalance of power between a the hot supply and neutral return to trip. I had this exact thing happen last year, GFCI did not trip, as there was no imbalance in current flowing.
So is this where AFCI protection would come into play?