I need a sea hare for my 55G tank

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do any of the local stores sell them?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Last I checked elite reef had one. Not sure if they still have it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. I'll give them a call when they open tomorrow.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got ours from About Fish - about 72nd and Federal. The woman who works there really hates having snails knock things over at night so she keeps one in just about every tank. Ours has quickly become one of my favorite things in the tank, though it is scary when you don't see them for a while and you begin to wonder if they are dead. Harriet really rocks when it comes to cleaning the tank and never knocks anything out of place. We have a 55 also and she was the perfect addition to the CUC. Hope you find one.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did get one on Tuesday and he/she/it started eating as soon as I put it in the tank. Usually it curls up behind a rock and is sleeping when I look in the morning - that is if I can see it. it just looks like another rock until I see it move. I can't find it this morning and hope it's alright. I've already grown to like it - so ugly it's cute.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK. Now the sea hare has been in the tank for a week and has removes 95% of the hair algae. Quite an amazing appetite. Actually it has eaten all that it can reach, there are strands in crevices that may grow out again in time. .The question now will be - how do I keep him alive and not starving to death? I have started an algae scrubber in my sump that is growing a crop of hair algae (hopefully stealing nutrients from the algae in the tank.). I guess one answer is to put the sea hare in the sump and once a week take the 'scrubber' apart so he can munch on it, or I hear that they will eat Nori or some varieties of lettuce.

Has anyone had any experience with this?