I need help With my maxima clam

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
so I bought a maxima clam about three weeks ago. my question is about; What can I do differently in my tank or with my clam to allow to relax fully and open up? I have moved it up and down in my tank. its now back in the sand. I have checked its byssal gland nothing seems to be wrong, no snails, it attached to a couple pieces of rock. Lost has what I can do next...

parameters:
ph 8.2
nitrites,ammonia 0
nitrates 5ppm
phospates between .1 to .2 api test kit
calcium 480 red sea test kit
mag 1400 red sea test kit

tank: 54g corner bow front
lighting: 250w mh
salt used: red sea pro salt

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Play soothing music?

Couple of things that I might be tempted to try:

1. You Phos reading seem quite high. Do you run GFO?
2. Water seems cloudy in the pic - or is that just the pic quality? Can you / do you run carbon?
3. You may want to reduce the lighting intensity for a few days to see if the clam likes it more.
4. How old is the tank?
5. Any chance there are other critter messing with it - what inverts do you have?

Shawn

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think its the quality.. I will try running carbon for a few days.. should I try and move it into the shade? shorten the light by how much? my mh runs for 9 hrs and actinic 10 hrs. the only things I see crawling on are the crabs, I have trying to remove them and just put them in the sump. 8 months old

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is not about the period of light but rather the intensity when acclimating something. Just see if you can raise the MH up 12 inches and see how that does. 9 dkh is good. Also - if the Phos #'s are accurate look at running GFO as well. Try to get it down to .05 or so.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reactors are best as the media surface area is maximized as the media tumbles. Two Little Fishies has a inexpensive dual model if I remember correctly. But a media bag is perfectly fine to get things kick started. I would suspect your GFO will get exhausted must faster than your carbon as it cleans up the phosphate in the system.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea - just put the clam in one corner of the tank and shade it a bit so it is getting more ambient light and see how it reacts over the course of a day or two.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can do layers of window screen from Home Depot to shade the clam. Start with a few layers and remove them one at a time

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
SkyShark;346119 said:
You can do layers of window screen from Home Depot to shade the clam. Start with a few layers and remove them one at a time
ya this prolly the better idea, moving it around all the time is could just keep it upset and wont help it open up any sooner imo. but I would say the bigger issue is the parms. get those inline and I'd bet he opens up

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Andrew_bram;346124 said:
Any chance it's a pinched mantle
Ya actually looking at the clam in the photo, it doesnt look like a maxima, its shell is smoother then usual for a maxima. Are you sure of what kind it is?

Last edited by a moderator:

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes it does a little i will take a picture later today, they said it was at aquamart...can anything be done about the pinched mantle?