Iced Venti Carmel Macchiato Coconut Milk Sub Mocha Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Build Goal:

In case you are wondering - yes, I work at Starbucks and no, I cannot get you a discount.
We moved a few months ago into my moms house to help her get through some rough surgeries ahead this summer which meant the sale of my beloved 60 frag tank that I had setup as a bare bottom shallow reef. I kept frags of most of my zoas, a few of my nicer colonies of montipora, and the fish (my boys do not consider it to be home unless they have their fish). Currently everything is surviving in a 55 gallon I setup to temporarily house everything until I could find a tank for it all. That was 5 weeks ago.
I have a stand already from the 60 frag that I built with the intention of getting a 120, I'll be picking the tank up in a week or so from another member on the forum. I've been stock piling equipment and various things getting ready for it. I am also restarting my 30L from a year ago. I am still planning a 300 gallon display, this is down the road though for when we move out and into something more permanent.

This is what I hope to achieve by August. Most of the equipment is already bought, I have some of the fish and most of the corals I want as well as one nem - limited to the 55 at the moment.

(1) 120 Display Tank - SPS, Zoas, LPS
Display Tank: 120 gallon glass tank
Display Lights: 2x400w Lumatek reflectors with galaxy ballasts running XM 10K 5 days/week and 20K Radiums 2 days/week.
Frag Tank: 30 gallon breeder
Frag Tank Light: 1x250w 14K Hamilton with Lumatek Reflector
Sump: 40 gallon breeder - 1st chamber ASM G3 Skimmer, 2nd Chamber Refugium with calerpula/red dragon, 3rd chamber with returns to display/frag tank/2nd chamber.
Fish: Canary Wrasse, 6-Line Wrasse, Blue Damsel, 2xYellow Tail Blue Damsel, Yellow Eyed Bristletooth Tang, Tomini Tang

(2) NUVO Fusion 30L NEM Tank
Light: 2x36" T5 Coral+ Blue+
Filtration: Upgraded IM Media Rack with charcoal, chemipure, perigean
Fish: Bi-Color Angelfish, Mocha Clown, Picasso Clown, Percula Clown
Nems: Bi-Color Anemone, Rose Anemone, Rainbow Anemone

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
flyfish;n647006 said:
Make sure to not put a top on the tank so the six line can jump
Already have some BRS Black screen that I'm going to be putting into some Home Depot Screen Kits for the 120 and the 30B. So far it has not jumped out of the 55, keeping the water line around 30 gallons at the moment for that purpose.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;n647002 said:
Fallowing along man
Thanks for that skimmer - you'll have to explain how it goes together once I get the tank up :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Teaser pic:

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Display Lights: 2x400w Lumatek reflectors with galaxy ballasts running XM 10K 5 days/week and 20K Radiums 2 days/week.

Are you manually changing out the bulbs each week?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following along. Looks like you have a good jump start on this build with that equipment/livestock list.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;n647061 said:
dangit! now I want a fancy coffee with coconut milk.
I'm not sure that it would ship well Cindy :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
neil82;n647044 said:

Are you manually changing out the bulbs each week?
I've already got the XM's from my last build and wanted to use those for this tank as I feel they have the best growth rate of any bulb I have used but they tended to wash out the colors so I supplemented with T5 Actinics (that wouldn't work as well this time around as the fixtures are much larger than my last one). When I bought the fixtures they came with the Radion 20K's, was thinking I could swap them out on my day off work when we have people over purely for the color pop and then swap the XM's back in as I won't be home when they're on most of the week. I'm planning on having the fixtures hanging from the ceiling and not making a top for the tank as I like the open top look (my last build was a 60 rimless) and it kept my last tank from overheating during the summer. . Open to suggestions though.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rock suggestions? I've got some nice pieces of pukani and one large piece of tonga that I've been growing colonies on and am thinking of putting my large pukani and tonga into the 120 with the small pukani pieces into the 30L. I'm considering adding a few more pieces of large tonga to start cycling as I've only got the one piece right now (I got this one from BRS).
Sand suggestions? I want to add sand to the 30L for sure and while I liked the bare bottom look for the 60 frag I want to keep a few more wrasses as I did have some issues with acro flat worms. I've got a growing piece of strawberry lemonade acro that I want to keep as well as a future clam or two.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;n647145 said:
I'm not sure that it would ship well Cindy :)
I'm almost positive it wouldn't!

As for rock, did you see what Seth is doing for rock in his? Crazy stuff. Can't go wrong with tonga branch, either.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;647163 said:
I'm almost positive it wouldn't!

As for rock, did you see what Seth is doing for rock in his? Crazy stuff. Can't go wrong with tonga branch, either.
I did. He and I texted a bit about it and looking into it more for the next build. :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Updates:
Had bought a 75 w stand to use originally, fixed it up, and then found a 120 instead which is what I originally wanted so I sold the 75.
Stand used to be black, needed to be sealed, trim on tank was brown and scratched up but no more:

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Started working on a bookshelf type stand for my 30L to sit on top of in our living room. All the furniture is already that old distressed wood with the charcoal looking knobs so I got to play around with my torch again:

Currently outside in the rain getting cleaned off, will scrub the boards down, seal them, and then get to making the shelves later this week.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Potential stock list:
2xblue damselfish
6 line wrasse
Yellow choris wrasse
Tomini tang
Yellow eyed bristletooth
Purple tang
Lawn mower blenny
Blue tux urchin
Butterfly

30L
Bicolor angelfish
2xclownfish

Will be my first time with tangs so open to suggestions, also I k ow the 30L isn't ideal for the bicolor but I wanted to keep it away from my 120 as I intend to add a clam in the next few months and know it will pick at the mantles.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finished the stand for the nuvo fusion 30L today. With all my tools in storage I set a challenge to myself to do it without power tools, just a hammer and a hand saw.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still need to add some toggles but it's done for now.