Id snail/hare/ I dont know

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
Was looking at my tank tonight and saw this thing on my back glass. I could only get one pic before it hid. It seemed to have a egg shape like a cowrie snail but it had lots of little spikes (looked soft). I don't think it had a shell so I'm thinking sea hare maybe. It's mouth is at the bottom of the pic. Guessing about an inch long.
Thanks.

View attachment 16226

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Cowrie's were the cause of my first tank break down ever. DOnt know how he got there, but did just as ron said, ate 2 small BTAs and a bunch of zoas. I had to remove what coral I had left and start over cause we couldnt figure out what was doing it. New sand and new rock. We couldnt find the culprit so I just started over. It wasnt until we had all the rock out of the tank and sitting outside that he showed himself, and that was only cause he was dying! As a reefer these are on my flush list if I find them as hitch hikers!

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
Thanks for the advice. So far I think it has only been eating algae,

Follow on question:
1) Since they eat anemones, will they eat aiptasia (couldn't get Google to tell me)?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Theres mixed feelings on this, some say yes and some say no. Peppermint shrimp eat aptasia, but rearely actually eat other anemones.

Alot of it has to do with where the snail actually came from. Aptasia is a warmer water species, and therfor only found in warmer waters. Only peps who come form this environment will eat aptasia, the cold water veriteies will not eat aptasia, another reason its very important to find out exaclty which genus your purchasing. This is just an example to provide some relativity and no factual bases here.

This thing will eat anything soft pretty much, nems, zoas and LPS. If you have any of those in your tank its very likely to have an apetite for one of these before it will ever go for aptasia. This is certainly a better safe than sorry scenerio. I would remove the thing and maybe find someone who has a FOWLR who can give it a good home, keep it in your sump / fuge or flush it.

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
ReefCheif;275786 said:
Theres mixed feelings on this, some say yes and some say no. Peppermint shrimp eat aptasia, but rearely actually eat other anemones.

Alot of it has to do with where the snail actually came from. Aptasia is a warmer water species, and therfor only found in warmer waters. Only peps who come form this environment will eat aptasia, the cold water veriteies will not eat aptasia, another reason its very important to find out exaclty which genus your purchasing. This is just an example to provide some relativity and no factual bases here.

This thing will eat anything soft pretty much, nems, zoas and LPS. If you have any of those in your tank its very likely to have an apetite for one of these before it will ever go for aptasia. This is certainly a better safe than sorry scenerio. I would remove the thing and maybe find someone who has a FOWLR who can give it a good home, keep it in your sump / fuge or flush it.
Nuff said. I have a lot of LPS. I was thinking mushroom control would be nice but not LPS. Thanks for the advice. I think I will get rid of it.