ID tube shaped things?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Almost positive they are vermetid snails. They don't move, they build the shell around them. Best way I've found to get rid of them is to super glue over the end. Stir up a little of your sand, you should see something resembling a web comeing from the mouth of the stem that the sand (dust) will stick to. That web is how they feed, like sending out a fishing line that catches food. They can irritate coral, and as you have seen, reproduce like crazy.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;334631 said:
look like Vermetid snails
Oh yeah, Tv is right. I went through this and was told it is because I have a nutrient rich tank. You can either use needle now pliers to take them of [make sure you get the base] or superglue the top closed. They throw out a thin line and feed and are also really sharp.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive got lots of them. As much as it seems like itll help, breaking the pipe off doesn't really do anything in the long run haha.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
I didn't realize they irritated corals... Is it their mucous for feeding? I always thought they were cool to look at, plus a little more diversity.

Used the needle method to hopefully get rid of them. Also removed tubes and bases with needle nose pliers. I'll try superglue if they come back.