I'm begging you

So, here we go again with another Pixar movie about Fish. Being that Nemo, a clownfish can survive, maybe not ideally, but can live in smaller aquariums, sales were through the roof back then. Only, I was mortified to find dead fish all over social media. "Help, I can't figure out why my Nemo fish is dying?" Well, what are your parameters and SG? "Huh, what does that mean?". Now with Finding Dory coming out, my concerns are amplified. The point to this rant is this. Store owners, I am begging you, do not sell any hippo tangs for a while. If you do carry them, make The purchaser show proof of a large well established aquarium. I know, not the most friendly customer service move but think of the animals you will be saving, not to mention children's heartbreak because their parents are morons that can't say no to their kids.
What does everyone else think? Okay... Enough of my soapboxing. Have a great day!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think having something like LiveAquaria published ready to hand out would be good for anyone that says they are just starting out. Admittedly, the beauty of the freshwater fish is no where close but when parents see the cost is a small fraction of saltwater, it should help convince them. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/media/...ic-LA-dory.pdf

...if the poster were to be completely honest, the dollar amount should include full setup and show more like $5,000 for Saltwater setup and $250 for Fresh...that would really help convince people to make a different choice. The cost of the fish is nothing in comparison to what it takes to setup and maintain the tank.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Too true! When I started I knew it was going to take some money to sustain the system, but I was ignorant to all the expenses that would be incurred over the long term. I am happy I started with a small and "more affordable" system, but still committed over $2000.

Starting a saltwater is a significant commitment and should not be taken lightly.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Agreed. This is mostly for the cooks at LFS looking to make a buck, and I don't blame them, it has to be very difficult to maintain a store, but responsible ones will or should undoubtedly ask questions. You can set up a 30 gallon aquarium for cheap, and that's the demographic I was addressing. A lot of people, and I found this statement to ring true when Finding Nemo came out, go and buy a bag of salt, a tank and a penguin HOB filter and out fish in the tank. My concern is that LFS and Petco in particular. Couldn't see Jeff or Chris doing this) will sell a tank, salt and filter for quick cash and then sell them a Tang. That has me angry and the reason for the post.
I appreciate all the great folks on this forum, with us making noise, even a little bit, we may make that difference a save some animals life.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Devils advocate here - so there will certainly be people who buy animals and put them in the wrong homes (and contrary to popular belief, it won't just be "parents who can't say no to their kids". I've seen plenty of adults make these kind of moves on their own, though I guess that's less popular to scapegoat because we've all fallen into that camp at some point in our lives).

And while there will definitely be animals who suffer, I'm curious if anyone has studied the effects these type of films have on conservation efforts. There are plenty of people who live by the ocean and want to conserve the beauty, but there are also land locked people who've never experienced a coral reef. If this movie encourages them to check out their local aquarium, perhaps plan their next vacay to a coastal region, and then get involved in conservation efforts, does that negate some of the negative effects of the movie? I'm curious as to how it all actually played out after nemo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see a poster sized publication standing on its own display near the marine tanks. Something that wouldn't easily be missed when shopping for fish and offer all of the info thats being discussed here.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

JodiI;652124 said:
Devils advocate here - so there will certainly be people who buy animals and put them in the wrong homes (and contrary to popular belief, it won't just be "parents who can't say no to their kids". I've seen plenty of adults make these kind of moves on their own, though I guess that's less popular to scapegoat because we've all fallen into that camp at some point in our lives).

And while there will definitely be animals who suffer, I'm curious if anyone has studied the effects these type of films have on conservation efforts. There are plenty of people who live by the ocean and want to conserve the beauty, but there are also land locked people who've never experienced a coral reef. If this movie encourages them to check out their local aquarium, perhaps plan their next vacay to a coastal region, and then get involved in conservation efforts, does that negate some of the negative effects of the movie? I'm curious as to how it all actually played out after nemo.

Interesting perspective. I like it.

just_tim;n652126 said:
I'd like to see a poster sized publication standing on its own display near the marine tanks. Something that wouldn't easily be missed when shopping for fish and offer all of the info thats being discussed here.

This.

So no poster but Petco has placed a 4"x7" sticker on 5he marine tanks, lol. The graphic is mostly a picture of a Blue Tang with a blurb about how they're not easy to care for.
Guess it was Actually the least they could do.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
5 days until the Prozac goes in short supply LOL Sorry but the Tang Police are starting to spin. As hobbyists we are naturally protecting our beloved hobby, but as I am sure many of you have seen the personal attacks on people all over the internet forums, Facebook pages, and ect are out of control. We as a group need to be better than this. The internet gives people a feeling of power and anonymity that does not suit some very well. They will attack others with no regard to their actual situation, education, or willingness to be educated. All this is doing is turning people off of asking the right questions or being involved with a healthy community or club such as MASC. Be kind and educate with a smile. I truly wish Disney would have produced a 30 second clip to play before the movie that showed what it takes to own a "Dory", but alas it is up to us to educate and not alienate prospective aquarium owners. Type with a smile folks. not an attitude. :)

Fourthwind;652367 said:
5 days until the Prozac goes in short supply LOL Sorry but the Tang Police are starting to spin. As hobbyists we are naturally protecting our beloved hobby, but as I am sure many of you have seen the personal attacks on people all over the internet forums, Facebook pages, and ect are out of control. We as a group need to be better than this. The internet gives people a feeling of power and anonymity that does not suit some very well. They will attack others with no regard to their actual situation, education, or willingness to be educated. All this is doing is turning people off of asking the right questions or being involved with a healthy community or club such as MASC. Be kind and educate with a smile. I truly wish Disney would have produced a 30 second clip to play before the movie that showed what it takes to own a "Dory", but alas it is up to us to educate and not alienate prospective aquarium owners. Type with a smile folks. not an attitude. :)
Good advice Fourthwind, I like it!. However, the above photo, on Reddit proves my point and all we can do is remain optimistic that humans for once, won't be human for once. (not a blanket statement but selective enough I think to kill a lot of fish just to make JR. Happy.)
Conservationist first, hobbyist second.
Lets all help these folks become better educated and remain inclusive. :)

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
What is in the tank you posted? I can't even see. I think there's a clown in there - not sure.

But I agree - you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Educate with a smile (and without judgement), and you're more likely to get through. Personally, I know I listen to kind people over jerks, regardless of how right they are.

Yes mam. It is a "sale for a 5 gallon Fluval tank and has "Dory and Nemo" in it.
Couldn't agree more.
Hope that folks research, that's all we can do.
Happy reefing

quackenbush;652365 said:
Saw this posted on Reddit:

JodiI;652382 said:
What is in the tank you posted? I can't even see. I think there's a clown in there - not sure.

But I agree - you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Educate with a smile (and without judgement), and you're more likely to get through. Personally, I know I listen to kind people over jerks, regardless of how right they are.

Who was it that was selling this Setup Quack?