IM "Nuvo 38" build

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
After my wifes "kid in a candy store" shopping experience at reef stock, I had to get this tank going in a hurry. The good news is I had most of the stuff on hand, just hadn't gotten to it before reefstock.

This is a "Nuvo 38" although I am not sure how they can call it that. Basic measuring says it's empty volume is about 32 gallons, and with rock and skimmer in there It took about 28 gallons of RODI to fill it.

I modified it a bit to suit my style of filtering. One return line is being driven by a Sicce 1.5, and the other is being driven by a large basket style canister filter running about 200 gph. Going to fill the canister with "Cermedia" Had a conversation with Kurt Hobson at Reefstock, and he highly recommends the stuff as it has better bacteria holding capabilities than live rock. In one side I am running a refug area with chaeto and live rock. The other side is my Tunze 9004 with floss and media in the overflow. Lighting is a black box with wifi programming. Working very nicely so far. I also installed two 5 watt 6500K LED strips on the back of the tank for the chaeto. Little bit of wire hiding and trim work, but at least the tank can get through it's cycle. Now for the game of patience.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my Cermedia last night, and installed it this morning. Amazing amount of surface area. 240 square feet per sphere. 34 spheres in the 2 quart package. That's a little over 8000 square feet of biological surface area. Or to put it into perspective for those who have played with bio balls before. That's 47 gallons or 2800 balls. Will see how it does.

I love the LED strips on the back for the Chaeto. I put my Chaeto in the DT because no light in the filter area of my jbj nano. Wonder if it's possible to do this as well?

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't see why not. Just need to scrape off the paint where the light is going. I used some clear rubber bumpers from Home Depot to create some separation between the LED strips and the tank to dissipate any heat from the strips. If you choose the US distributer they are $6.88 each. I know another member has used a submersible 10 watt MH bulb for his chaeto, but I was concerned that in a nano like this that it would be like installing a 10 watt heater in the tank.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Fourthwind;639938 said:
Got my Cermedia last night, and installed it this morning. Amazing amount of surface area. 240 square feet per sphere. 34 spheres in the 2 quart package. That's a little over 8000 square feet of biological surface area. Or to put it into perspective for those who have played with bio balls before. That's 47 gallons or 2800 balls. Will see how it does.
Did you put all of this in your system? I've got a 29g biocube and I'm intrigued on if this would be helpful for me as well. Keep us updated with your thoughts.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
JodiI;n640153 said:
Did you put all of this in your system? I've got a 29g biocube and I'm intrigued on if this would be helpful for me as well. Keep us updated with your thoughts.
Yes. I am from an old school of thought that the more surface area you can get the better, and my 6 gallon nano is proof to me that you can achieve biological stability in a small area. It affectively has the filter capacity of a 20 gallon tank. The canister I am using held all two quarts of the spheres in two of the three baskets. leaving me the third to use with something else if necessary someday. It could take many months to truly know how well these are working in my nuvo 38. It could be that it will run too clean and will require more dosing of nutrients. Hard to say, but I will find out!

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Progress Update: Tank is cycled! and I might add it has been very stable. I have no doubts that some of that has to do with the cermedia. Never seen a tank grab of a cycle like this one. Lots of surface area equals lots of bacteria. Added a few pieces of gear. Got the jabeo 4 wave maker working well. Aqua smart micro ATO. IM reactor, and a DIY style heating and cooling control. I bought a rim mount dual fan to make sure temps keep stable during the summer. The controller should keep it all happy.

Got a few of my LPS, zoas, favi, and a piece of Monti cap in there. Everyone is happy happy. Except for the Goni who got ran over by a hermit just before pic time lol

Now my search for Monti Digi and acros that fit my wifes color scheme lol

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great! How have you been target feeding the sun coral? I've heard of people using the cut off top of a 2 liter bottle with success.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fourthwind;642141 said:
I may have to try that. So far I have been using what is basically an 18 inch turkey baster and slow feeding.
Nice. I bet a combo of the two would work well. I forgot I've seen a long baster like that. Might have to pick one up myself.