Is it safe

120greefman

to put a 90 gallon aquarium on the second floor in my house? Honestly don't know the answer and wondering if these new cookie cutter homes can handle the weight.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sadly this isn't something that can be answered in a forum. Even if someone here is a structural engineer they would still need to know about the spot you chose, how your sub floors were constructed, the size of the beams, type of wood used which is likely a soft pine and many other variables. Older homes were built from older established forests. Turn of the century homes are built from replanted forests and from woods out of fast growing trees which usually means softer. Even older home hardwood floors prove this just by eyeballing it. Even knowing a wood grade wouldn't be much help. I wouldn't personally risk it with out reinforcing the beams and even then I would be scared lol.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO, yessir. Imagine two refrigerators sitting next to each other. I have a 120 sitting on the second floor. Roughly 150 lbs sand, 200 lbs rock, and a 55 gal sump. It's pretty stable.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

120greefman

So as of now its 50/50. I will take those odds, lol. It's a 90g corner tank, it will probably go in the corner. I don't know the anser to any of denvercherubs questions but any real case scenarios will be greatly appreciated. Cheers to RP for being on at 12am. And also DC-aka vampire biting into someones head avatar.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Average new fridge weighs around 200 pounds, that's not the best analogy.

this is a quote from RC. Go with this weight.

Estimate 8.5-8.8 lbs per US gallon of water and mutliply that by 90.

Contact your intended tank's manufacturer to find out the specific dry weight of the exact model of tank you're looking at (AGA should still list the weights in their little catalogue). Acrylic and glass tanks will vary, so be very specific about the tank you're getting to get the estimated dry weight.

Are you going to use sand for the tank or go bare bottom? If you're going to go with sand, estimate AT LEAST 60-75 lbs.

For live rock, I like to estimate based off the high end of live rock. Figuring 1.5 lbs per gallon of live rock at a bare minimum for biological filtration rules of thumb, and you'll have AT LEAST 135 lbs in there. A 90G can hold probably about 180-200 lbs of liverock easily, depending on your tastes.

Add that all up.

So, giving a "ballpark estimate," look to anywhere between 1000lbs to 1300lbs.
I only say this so you're really careful. That is pretty risky

120greefman

Yea, I am guessing around 900 lbs as it will be a freshwater tank with a canister filter. A little gravel and some basic decor.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was worried about a 50 gallon in my living room but that was mainly because I didn't know what was under the hardwood. As long as you know there isn't termite damage or splintered boards. Eh nevermind I'll stop lol Just be careful! Maybe seek advice from a contractor or engineer buddy.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol, of course you can! Next to the wall, especially in the corner is the strongest place in the floor, 2x8 floor joist are rated at over 1000lbs at 12 feet, (with -0- deflection) (which is the smallest dimensional lumber used in this application) so unless your house is ancient, it was built with codes in mind and was inspected, and certified in order to get a C/O.
100x8=800 lbs+stand and rock displacement=~1000lbs

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;88692 said:
I was worried about a 50 gallon in my living room but that was mainly because I didn't know what was under the hardwood. As long as you know there isn't termite damage or splintered boards. Eh nevermind I'll stop lol Just be careful! Maybe seek advice from a contractor or engineer buddy.
Not to many termites here in Colorado, gets a lil too cold for their liking.

120greefman

Sweet. It's going upstairs. I figure whats the difference anyway. I have my 120 sitting on my first floor and there is a basement beneath it so it is almost the same scenario.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well first I'd have to know how many gallons of water you can hold in your entire house, including spare tanks in the garage, then, based on the available water containment you have, I could give you a semi accurate guess as to the safeness of a 90g on the 2nd level. The answer should be an even number and feel free to PM me for quickest response. I am only concerned about your safety here.

120greefman

Boogie;88733 said:
Well first I'd have to know how many gallons of water you can hold in your entire house, including spare tanks in the garage, then, based on the available water containment you have, I could give you a semi accurate guess as to the safeness of a 90g on the 2nd level. The answer should be an even number and feel free to PM me for quickest response. I am only concerned about your safety here.
That is hilarious. LMAO

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my 90 up on the 2nd floor, with the 29g sump been there since Dec. Seems to be doing ok, it is against the an outter wall.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;88733 said:
Hahahaha.

My fridge weighs around 800, not sure where you get lighter fridges from but I want one. I had to help the maintainance guys move in a new fridge....not cool.

You might even be able to plumb all the tanks together. The sump flows into the 90g, the 90g drains into the 120, then the 120 drains into the sump

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

120greefman

aztecdreams;88803 said:
I have my 240 cube on the main floor over a basement on a house from 1906. 4x4x24,about 250 lbs of sand and 300lbs of live rock
That is a sweet setup, also makes me feel much better about putting a little 90g upstairs.