1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Is this a peppermint shrimp???

Discussion in 'Inverts and other Marine Animals' started by kchristensen8064, Aug 21, 2018.

1. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

This was sold to me as a Peppermint shrimp but it has a much different pattern and is lighter in color than any other I've seen. Thoughts? IMG_20180821_211515_HDR.jpg

2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

It looks like one to me, but I'm not an expert by any means.

3. kchristensen8064

It just looks so much different than any I've seen. The body shape is right though. I tried looking up pictures and couldn't find any with a similar pattern or anything so I thought I'd throw it out there and ask.

4. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

If it is, it is an aberrant pattern. Has it always looked like this, or is it possible that it is just getting ready to molt.

5. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Fresh molt?

6. kchristensen8064

It molted the day after I got it. I've had it a week. It looked the same before the molt.

7. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Not a peppermint

8. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Look at this one:

Screenshot 2018-08-22 at 12.01.19 PM.png

It has the same markings on the tail, the thorax is pretty similar in markings...although more faint in color than yours. It is different from most of the peppermints I've seen and had. I'm still not an expert, just sorta looks like this guy to me.

9. kchristensen8064

It does look like that one! I will have to look into it I'm curious now on origin and stuff...

10. kchristensen8064

If not what are you thinking?

11. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Depends on location its from, could be the one pictured above but hardly anyone imports peppermints from the Pacific, majority if not all come out of the Carribean.

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  12. laufeyson

laufeyson Copepod

probably just a odd area version not the common Caribbean type that eat aiptasia here is a chart for different type weird pep.jpg

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  13. kchristensen8064

Thanks, I'll see if I can compare it to these once I get home.