Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
gotta love starry blennies! I'm gonna put one in the nuvo when I get that set up for sure. And those rock nems are awesome.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was all excited at the meeting yesterday...thinking my rock nem split. I was fooled! :p

Turns out it was on the move, and the foot was buried in the middle of the rock. One half of the nem was exposed on a shelf, the other half was sticking out of the side a good 3" away. Pretty amazing considering the thing is only about 2" across when it's fully expanded. I even looked to see if that was the case when I first thought it split...seemed impossible, and both apparent nems seemed to have a full ring of tentacles around them. Definitely fooled me. Sorry Mike...no split to trade ya, haha.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh...how could I forget...

Upgraded to a radion pro yesterday. Came home to find my rbta significantly more expanded than usual. It also typically starts to deflate in the evening when the whites go off...it did that daily in the past. With the UVs overlapping the daylight and night settings, the nem deflated later in the photoperiod today...thought that was interesting.

My 2 smaller btas are also expanded a bit more. I'm using the same photoperiod and levels on each of the colors...the only exception being the addition of UV and violet LEDs. The yellows I believe are tied in with the greens... and I barely have them running so that's negligible.

I'll update in about a week...hopefully the trend of happy inverts continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;293233 said:
Looking awesome Khalis!!!? How many nems you got in there now and what kind?
3 Rock anemones
2 Rose BTAs
1 Sunburst BTA
5 Rainbow BTAs - All 5 have green bases with variations of orange tentacles with pink tips. 2 pairs are clones that split in my tank...the most recent split just happened Friday night.

The sunburst and odd rainbow were the last 2 additions to the tank. The rainbow is doing great...unfortunately, that sunburst never really inflated and just hid in a little cave since I picked it up. I tried feeding it, hitting it with a little flow...and all I seemed to do was agitate it more :( Finally, last week the rainbow that was partly shading the sunburst moved just enough that the sunburst got a small amount of light toward the end of the photoperiod; it was still looking pretty bad, but at least started to inflate rather than just lay in the cave...I almost pulled it out a few days prior because it was drooping face down on the rocks.

Because of my scape, I can't rotate/move rocks...and the sunburst had its foot wedged in a cave and I couldn't move it myself either. Since hitting it with flow didn't work, and it was looking really bad, I decided on one last desperate measure to coax it into moving.

I intentionally made my pH swing...and it worked. The nem moved out of the cave on the first day, and had moved into the light the 2nd day. As a "side-effect" my rainbow split too; I definitely ****ed off some sps in the process, but my main focus with the tank has been the nems so I was ok with that and knew it was a risk.

I don't recommend anybody go and do that...but I figured the swing in parameters might stress it enough to force it to move. It worked, and the sunburst looks like it has a chance of recovering since it's looking better each day and has stopped declining. It still has nice color, but the tentacles are all short and stubby but extending more each day. It never turned fully inside out or had a gaping mouth, but looked like it was trying to expel waste every day for 2 weeks...it was pretty bad. Hopefully my last ditch effort does turn things around...keeping my fingers crossed.

Added the WP10 today since I've been too lazy (and cheap) to ship my MP10wes back to ecotech. I currently have 2 MP10wes on the tank, and the WP10; I may replace the WP with the MP10 when I get it back from ecotech (for a total of 3 on the tank), but I'm pretty happy with the wave this thing makes.

Here's a vid. The WP10 is running about 4" below the waterline; I'm pretty impressed with the wave given the small size and the fact that I have 2 MP10s, a return, and a closed loop on the tank.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's amazing how much the color pops from the top-down view with the nem reflecting some light...as opposed to from the side when most of the light is "bleeding through"...

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

Those are some great pics. I've always likes the way top down pics looked. So much more color