Jumping spider macro

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That is a purty spider, and a great shot. What surface was it on?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Walter White;n639229 said:
This one has a little better depth of field I think but I liked the color on the first one better.

and I like the color on this one better. Really pops with that DoF

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You guys are funny! Jumping spiders are kinda cute I think. I think they bare the friendliest of spiders.

SynDen;n639267 said:
That is a purty spider, and a great shot. What surface was it on?
I caught this little guy and put him in the fridge for about an hour. Then I set up this decorative glass amber globe with a home and gardens magazine behind with a picture of some flowers for the background color. When he was nice and cold I placed him one the glass globe and fired a few shots until he warmed up and started moving around again.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya agreed, Jumping spiders are completely harmless and very beautiful critters, honestly dont understand why people want to kill them.

An excellent setup for some excellent shots.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;n639279 said:
Ya agreed, Jumping spiders are completely harmless and very beautiful critters, honestly dont understand why people want to kill them.

An excellent setup for some excellent shots.
Thanks!

rjl45

Clown Fish
Walter White;639277 said:
I caught this little guy and put him in the fridge for about an hour....
LMAO! Great technique. If only all subjects were so easy! Just my 2 cents, I like the 2nd one better. The depth of field is killer!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I liked the shots I got of this guy so much I decided to do some more. My wife found this one one in the shower. Actually I think these are both females based on size and color.
applied everything I had learned from last time and did some more experimenting and came up with these which I thought were the best out of about 60 shots or so. Im really hoping the colors came out as I had intended. I have been working from a different monitor and Im not sure I have it calibrated quite right yet.

Yeah baby show me them fangs!!! Work it!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
OMG man, very nice! I love the 2nd and 3rd one. The color impact on those is pretty awesome. What did you use for the sets this time?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;n642106 said:
OMG man, very nice! I love the 2nd and 3rd one. The color impact on those is pretty awesome. What did you use for the sets this time?
Thanks it was fun.

Yeah the 2nd and 3rd are probably my favorites as well the 2nd for sure. For the second one I used the bottom of a blue sake glass with a coral magazine behind it that had some yellow tangs on the cover. I use a flash with a soft box on a 1/250th synch.

For the 3rd one I use a decorative glass bowl turned upside down and another coral magazine with a pink and purple anemone on the cover. I used the same flash and soft box from before but also added a second ring flash on a remote trigger for fill light on the left.

This time I used CO2 to anesthetize the spider for about 5-10 minutes at a time. Gives me much more time pose the little guy then wait for it to wake up then snap as many shots as possible. Works way better than the refrigerator and only takes about two or three minutes for the spider to go to sleep. Less chance of killing it too.

It's funny as hell when they wake up all startled like "WTF just happened!!"

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
LOL, ya I think you can see some of that WTF in the fourth shot

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow thanks guys!

It's actually kind of hilarious putting them to sleep. I use a pee cup with a couple small holes in the top. I put a small tube for the co2 tank on one and very slowly just crack the valve enough to let the gas start to seep out. The co2 is more dense so it goes to the bottom and starts to push the rest of the air out the other hole. Once I'm sure I've replaced Mostar all of the air with co2 I pull the tube and cover the two holes for a few minutes and just watch.

You can litterally see the spider kind of stagger around then just collapse. When they stop moving after a couple light shakes you know they're out cold. The first time I did it I thought I killed the poor thing. They do look dead as their legs curl inward and all. You can still carefully position them but it's hard to get a natural looking pose. I was in the middle of doing this the first time when the thing woke up suddenly and jumped off the glass, kinda scared me a bit ill be honest. But I was thrilled at the same time that it really did work! The thing was passed out.

After a couple times of trying this I found it was best to give the spider a slightly smaller dose of gas, place them were I want them and be ready for it to wake up.