Jumping spider macro

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your method is genius and totally cracks me up. I'm almost scared to see what else you can find living in or around your house!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
projectx;n642104 said:
Wow unreal picts, wish i could shoot half that well
Thanks I'm sure you can. I didn't do anything fancy here. Heck I'm still just a rookie trying learn. I just took some time to stage a shot with plain ole household items and a pretty standard flash that allows aperture priority synch. I think most flashes these days will at lease synch up to 1/160 which is more than fast enough for this kind of thing. Your on camera flash if you have one will not work for this though. You do need a real flash, some sort of diffuser and some understanding how to use it, but that's not hard. I like Yongnuo flashes for canon they make knock offs for like $70 that will almost rival the $500 canon version. Build quality is not quite as good buts it's still good enough and for the price who cares!

I'm starting to realize that ring flash is not the way to go with insect macro. I'm just using a $10 soft box that velcros onto the front of a regular flash. It's way more bulky but the ring flash is just way to harsh even with a diffuser cap on the front. I'm starting to see why Many macro photographers don't use them and even make their own custom soft boxes out of cardboard and tin foil.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 Halmus. I'd a never thought of that either. Walter those pictures are great. BTW having a pet tarantula is the best way to cure your fear of spiders.