1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Kchristensen8064's Build-off competition entry.

Discussion in 'Competition Entries' started by kchristensen8064, Apr 24, 2019.

1. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

2. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Awesome, cycle is coming along nicely

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

3. kchristensen8064

I started completely dry so I expect it to take a while. Hoping it times out for when we get back from vacation. Getting the itch though since the other guys are already putting life in theirs. LOL

4. kchristensen8064

So I also decided to add a shelf around the top of the stand. I know this part isn't part of the build off, but just thought I'd share the progression of the stand as well. Here's a few pictures of it being made. I should have it installed later this afternoon. 20190512_140445.jpg 20190512_144208.jpg 20190518_125015.jpg

neil82 and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  5. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’d be pretty hesitant to add them all at once. That’s not a ton of fish, but the tank isn’t established yet. If you do add them all at once, I would plan on frequent water changes for the first few weeks. Just my two cents.

6. kchristensen8064

That was my thoughts as well. Do you think somewhat heavy ghost feedings would help get things a little closer to being able to handle it?

7. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

You got a pretty strong cycle going already, i dont think it would help much to feed it. That like would just prolong it

SkyShark and kchristensen8064 like this.
  8. kchristensen8064

Okay cool. I figured as much. I liked the convenience of getting them all from the same place and they had them dirt cheap but I will just have to try to find them all locally. Where's the best LFS's in your opinion? The ones up north don't thrill me.

9. kchristensen8064

Here's the shelf with corbels I added this evening. I think I'm going to really like having somewhere to set things when working on the tank or acclimating. 20190518_205707.jpg

10. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm really digging the tank shelf.
    Are you doing a qt process with you livestock or buying from someone who does?
    I think AA is considered the best LFS, but not exactly local. Have you priced out livestock from sponsors?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

11. kchristensen8064

I have one up here that is very local to me, but difficult to get in touch with. I'm putting feelers out with others to see if I can get them from one of them.

12. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Looking really good! I love what you did with the stand and the shelf. Very nice. Hopefully you can track down that livestock locally. I would think there would be much less risk than mail ordering.

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  13. kchristensen8064

20190523_202915.jpg Cycle is still progressing nicely. Ammonia is dropping so hopefully it's on the right track.

14. kchristensen8064

So, since we're supposed to update at least every 2 weeks I'll throw one out there. The tank has finished cycling. I'm down in New Orleans and won't be back until the 18th. So there really isn't much to update. I'll do a round of water tests when I get home and plan on adding my first fish and coral.

15. kchristensen8064

So there is not much to update. I'm still on vacation and haven't seen the tank in 2 weeks. I get back home on Tuesday and will post another update later in the week. If everything is well I plan on adding my first fish and coral by this weekend.

16. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod

do you have an auto feeder to keep the live rock "fed?"

17. kchristensen8064

I was ghost feeding before I left. There was plenty of food in there to get through the last couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using MASC mobile app

18. kchristensen8064

Alright, back from vacation. Tank is looking great. Has some algea growing and is definitely in one of its ugly stages. Cycle is done and probably has been for a couple of weeks. This weekend I plan on doing a 10 gallon water change, and clean out the skimmer. It's getting some really good dark gunk. I'm going to add my first fish which will be a firefish and some clean up crew.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  19. kchristensen8064

Added my first fish and corals today. I updated my price sheet at the top of the thread and will post pictures later today or tomorrow. I also ordered a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners that will be here mid week next week.

neil82 likes this.
  20. kchristensen8064