Learned by mistake, zapped my tank :(

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Still recovering from it. But I ended up zapping my entire tank. My sump tank return pump popped the tubing and nice conductive water decided that the electrical socket nearby was its destination. After myself getting nicely electrocuted unplugging the power, also so did all my fish and coral. Within a day most of the fish died and the coral did not last much longer. I have now a dead tank. But I plan to rebuild and better. I did find a nice aquarium grounding cable at Liquid Kingdom that is now on my shopping list. But started making a new tank stand. Then I will redo my overflow and fix the darn return pump issue so it will not happen again. At least I learned. Expensive lesson, but I learned.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for your loss. Was your tank hooked up to a GFCI outlet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, iirc a gfci better than a grounding probe which can be counter productive. You saying it was arcing thru to outlet?

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
That socket is not GHCI, I could swap that out. The surge protector fried with it. Nice burn marks on it. It also though could expired (have too many old ones laying around). Luckily none of my pumps, heaters, lights, and such, did not burn out.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any tank I run in my house is connected to a GFCI outlet. Something I would recommend every reefer to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bummer! Scary part is that you got shocked too. Good safety reminder for all. Thanks for posting and I hope the rebuild goes well.