LED brands over view as seen by majicmike

majicmike;218935 said:
As LED's seem to get more and more affordable and tax time is here I wanted to try and help answer questions people may have about the LED's available to them.

This is my take on LED lighting. This is in no way absolute and in no way set in stone. I am writing this to put my findings out there to help others try and make the best choice in lighting for themselves. One thing to know is that I am still buying and playing with lights and will continue to change, adapt and learn.
Please remember this is what I have found and your experience may or may not be different. I welcome open discussion but please if you disagree keep it constructive.
I have now owned 7 different types of LED lights.
I am going to include AI SOL'S I did not own them but have friends with them and think I can make a fair evaluation on the light.
I still say someone should take a peek at how well the specs on the ikea led's work cause those are cheap and fun..... Just a thought...

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chuzzler;220986 said:
On the AI SOLs would 2 units of the latest gen be enough for a 120g 4x2x2 in your opinion? AI website suggests it would be.
I don't think that would be enough personally. They use 2w nodes and total 72w per unit. I'm running 2 180w units on my 75 gallon using 3w LEDs and that seems perfect. Not sure if sols have some super LED nodes or wild optics but I would have to guess you may be left a bit dissatisfied at overall growth. Coral will pop just fine but will it grow? I don't have that much confidence in Sols. My 2 cents

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
given a choice between the AI Sols and the par 38s, which one works better to make colors pop? Anyone compared them side by side?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sols atleast you can choose your coloring weather you want a 20k look or a 14 k

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;221036 said:
I don't think that would be enough personally. They use 2w nodes and total 72w per unit. I'm running 2 180w units on my 75 gallon using 3w LEDs and that seems perfect. Not sure if sols have some super LED nodes or wild optics but I would have to guess you may be left a bit dissatisfied at overall growth. Coral will pop just fine but will it grow? I don't have that much confidence in Sols. My 2 cents
Craig has 3 over his 180 and I think he has a nice tank with great growth

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Anyone's more than welcome to come check my tank out everything in my tank was grown under my sols here's an acro grow not in 4 months kinda bad pics but the growth is great

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: LED brands over view as seen by majicmike

Suzanne Lynn;221028 said:
I still say someone should take a peek at how well the specs on the ikea led's work cause those are cheap and fun..... Just a thought...
I bought the RGB ones, they currently are my moonlights.

So you're saying that the Radions have to be plugged in 24/7?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well made a new purchase :D Got these lights 2 reds 2 greens blues and cool whites. First thing I notice on the test of these lights is noise.....There is none, I had to see if the fans where running. The lights are dimmable with 2 cords. The light has 90 deg. optics and the case seems well built. This is the BEST entry level light I have purchased to dste. Only time will tell on reliablity, but they are serviced in the U.S. At $168 shipped great ptice for what you get.

[TABLE="width: 652"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]power
[/TD]
[TD]120w dimmable Bridgelux AQUA LED
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Input voltage
[/TD]
[TD]85-265vAC
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Output current
[/TD]
[TD]550mA
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Device qty
[/TD]
[TD]55pcs
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]color1
[/TD]
[TD]2red+2green+2violet+cold white
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]color2
[/TD]
[TD]28pcs royal blue
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]packing
[/TD]
[TD]4 x in a pack
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Case color
[/TD]
[TD]black case
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]lumen
[/TD]
[TD]5040 Lm
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Wattamty
[/TD]
[TD]1year local USA warranty
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Lens
[/TD]
[TD]90degree default
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Dimmer
[/TD]
[TD]one for white one for blue
dimmable from 0~100%

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Dimension
[/TD]
[TD]400*212*60mm(16"*8")
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Packing weight
[/TD]
[TD]20kg/44lbs
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Switch
[/TD]
[TD]2pcs switches
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Payment

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Where did you find these Mike?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Those look great Mike. Do the green and reds dim with the whites?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Mike, keep us posted on these. I've been shopping around for lighting. These have me thinking led rather than t5. I'm thinking 2 or 3 over a 60x30 tank and adding a couple 80 watt t5's as well. Maybe just 2 with the t5's

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;223685 said:
Mike, keep us posted on these. I've been shopping around for lighting. These have me thinking led rather than t5. I'm thinking 2 or 3 over a 60x30 tank and adding a couple 80 watt t5's as well. Maybe just 2 with the t5's
Well Mike I am making my lighting frame right now I am using 3 of theseLEDs with 2 54w t-5s each side (total of 4) of the LEDs. I will post pictures soon of my light build

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

What size tank mike? What are you going to keep? Thanks! Sorry to thread hijack.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey mike can you give me the link for these? I have a dark spot that I want to fill with another LED