Led questions?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. How long does it take to acclimate the tank to LEDs? A week, a month?

2. What % did you start your lights on, I started mine at 30% is this to low, to high? Any ideas?

3. What % are you running your lights at during regular operation? Also how deep is your tank and how far off the water are your lights?

I am currently running AIs on a 150 deep any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
First off, a must read for AI owners. Its lengthy but worth it. It will answer most any of your questions in regards to the lights.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841197

Dbarnes;153563 said:
1. How long does it take to acclimate the tank to LEDs? A week, a month?
There is no way to properly answer this. Its up to you and your tank to decide this. Everyone's system is different and will adjust differently depending on tons of factors including, how many lights, par level, corals, optics, etc.

Dbarnes;153563 said:
2. What % did you start your lights on, I started mine at 30% is this to low, to high? Any ideas?
I also started out at 30% and increased by 1% every other day.

Dbarnes;153563 said:
3. What % are you running your lights at during regular operation? Also how deep is your tank and how far off the water are your lights?
Blue/Royal blue peak at 100, white peaks at 90 for 4 hours. Tank is 21" deep with 3 AI units hung sideways 12"AWL with all 40 degree optics

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
30% is too high......(ok, it was too high for me)
I started mine out there and burned huge colonies of montipora and acros.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;153624 said:
30% is too high......
I started mine out there and burned huge colonies of montipora and acros.
Depends on how many units you have, how high they are hung and what optics you have. Dont you have 1 per 12" Gale and arent they only hung 5-6" AWL?

IMO if you have the recommended 1 unit per 12" then yes, I would start at probably 15% but if you have 1 unit per 24" then 30% is probably ok. How high they are hung matters as well. I would say, if possible, regardless of how many you have to hang them at least 10-12" AWL to start with.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have six units over a seven foot tank and they are about 10-12" off the water.
Either way....like you said, there are many variables. If your SPS is low in the tank, you can start out higher. My corals that got
fried were mostly < 12" from the surface, so I was blasting the hell out of them hehe. Costly mistake.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;153623 said:
First off, a must read for AI owners. Its lengthy but worth it. It will answer most any of your questions in regards to the lights.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841197

There is no way to properly answer this. Its up to you and your tank to decide this. Everyone's system is different and will adjust differently depending on tons of factors including, how many lights, par level, corals, optics, etc.

I also started out at 30% and increased by 1% every other day.

Blue/Royal blue peak at 100, white peaks at 90 for 4 hours. Tank is 21" deep with 3 AI units hung sideways 12"AWL with all 40 degree optics

Thats a great read!!! heres a little more info on what i have set up

Lights: 2 AI supper blues 10"AWL
Tank: 48"wide x30"hieght x 24'' depth

I Understand that each tank is diffrent thus why i want to know what people started with and where they ended up. I started at 30%white 35% blue and 30% Royal blues. they are currently running from 8am to 9pm with a 160min ramp period on both ends. So far (3days in) the corals are looking good, i started at 15% however it was clear my open brains at the bottom of the tank were still in night mode and were not getting even enough light to show signs of life. However after jumping to 30% (as suggested by fellow reefer) they are looking great along with everything else. 1% everyother day is REALLY slow, slower than i would have went if you had not mentioned that rate. The rate is the one thing i am very unclear on, it seems some people jump quickly and others take it slow... i would rather take it slow but want to insure i dont take it so slow that the tank mates begin to suffer of lack of lighting.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you are on the right track. You have a lot of area to cover with only 2 units. I think you will have to do some careful coral placing or get a 3rd unit. Please keep us updated on your progress!