Leveling your tank.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
How many people do this? Mine is in between the bubbles but favors a side for sure, so I'm thinking of draining it and getting it level (120 with nothing in it just sand and rock). I've read many post that people don't level it and as long as it's between the lines your good. Some say if you're 1/8th off your fine.

What's the community think about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would recommend getting it level while you have the opportunity. Probably doesn't have to be perfect, but get it as close as you can.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The larger the tank, the more important it is to be perfect level. This is especially important in reef tanks, because we have so much water flow. If the tank is uneven, it will add additional stress weight to one of the edges/seam. This is compounded by the fact that we put wave makers and such in the tanks, and with the back and forth flow of the water, this adds to the pressure on the uneven side. Its only a matter of time before the seam fails and your tank ends up o the floor, especially in tanks over 100g in size

That being said. I never leveled my 75g, and it does favor one side a slight bit, but never been enough to be concerned. On the build for my 640g though, I was extremely meticulous in making sure it was perfect level in all directions. I even rebuilt the stand multiple times just to get it right because once its filled, it will be 6000 pounds of water being moved around inside it, and the last thing I want to see is all that water on my basement floor

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You make a very good point SynDen

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you can I would level. For as little as it takes to level, then it's not a worry down the road

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I'm going to use either steel or wood shims under the stand.

Just got to see if I have enough containers to hold all that water. Anyone have any big ones I can maybe borrow as well?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;658419 said:
I would not use wood. Wood rots amd will eventually fail. Steel may rust. I used composite
Well both of my stands are made out of wood.. I think it wouldn't rot since it would be under the stand so no water could get to it.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;n658424 said:
Well both of my stands are made out of wood.. I think it wouldn't rot since it would be under the stand so no water could get to it.

may be true different wood most likely. have read it happening also in my experience hard to break cleanly another plus for composite

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would rather have a not-level tank with the stand squarely on the floor with all surface area being used than a tank shimmed or with feet where a few square inches are touching the floor.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;n658432 said:
I would rather have a not-level tank with the stand squarely on the floor with all surface area being used than a tank shimmed or with feet where a few square inches are touching the floor.
+1, especially if you are within the lines of your level.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
See this is what I'm talking about with do's and don't's of leveling the tank.

You can tell my tank is not level with the water line going across the tank and also one overflow is definitely favored over the other.