Lighting change coming

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so having this horrible internal battle.
Tank is a 150 cube 36x36x24
Option 1
4 hydra 26 and 2 t5
Option 2
1 250 metal halide and 4 t5
Option 3
8x 39 t5 dimmable ati fixture
I see pros and cons to both. One huge benifit I see to led is I am on road all the time so with led don't have to worry as much about the wife having to do bulb changes. With both lights I will have to do serious acclimation. I have always been t5 guy always had great growth but thinking I want to tinker a little bit. So what do you think. I am ordering new lights Monday or Tuesday.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Option 4 - Retro t5, as many as you can fit. Half e8 bulbs, other half t5 bulbs. That makes option 3 and option 1 both possible without changing fixtures

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your wife has to change bulbs every time that you go on the road? You aren't at home once a year to change bulbs? I am just kidding... probably as much as you were.

In any case, don't get rid of your old lights for a while. Lots of people regret not being able to go back.

In case you care, nothing spreads big area like a halide. Affordable and easy. No savings of any form buying and running lots of panels... think back to Dr Joshi at MACNA.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;657200 said:
Your wife has to change bulbs every time that you go on the road? You aren't at home once a year to change bulbs? I am just kidding... probably as much as you were.

In any case, don't get rid of your old lights for a while. Lots of people regret not being able to go back.

In case you care, nothing spreads big area like a halide. Affordable and easy. No savings of any form buying and running lots of panels... think back to Dr Joshi at MACNA.
I didn't make macna just toying with some ideas. I know you are a halide guy so how do you think spread would be on 250 watt halide on 12x12 reflector 6 inch above water. Yes it has to fit into my canopy. That is wife's only requirement.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;657204 said:
Hamilton Cabo Sun is about 20x20 that spreads pretty good. They are very effective over 36x36.
Cabo sun is 9 inches deep so it would be 2-4 inches above water line. Little to close for my comfort.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure on other leds but he radions have an acclimation setting. X% over X weeks. I would assume the hydras have something similar

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Option 2 gets my vote.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So did you make a decision? I am a if ain't broke don't fix it kinda guy so if T-5's have worked why change it? If you are determined to change it I would vote option 4 and go with two of the Radion Gen 4 Pros and T-5's.