Live Rock and Zoa Pox

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 30 that had two Zoa frags with Zoa pox on them a a few months back. It's been my anemone tank a while now with no zoas.
Anybody know if the live rock in this tank is ok to mix in another tank or should I not use this rock anymore? Thanks!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If it were me I wouldn't use it as is. Take no chances. I'd do a bleach dip or a muriatic acid dip, then re-cure everything. I wouldn't want the slightest chance that the pox remain in those rocks....even if you don't intend to add zoas again. Wipe it out. Lots of articles on muriatic acid dips, and bleach dips as well.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I couldn't find anything on the life cycle of zoa pox from a google search, so I would tend to agree with Chris. Better to not take any chances since there hasn't been much research into zoa pox other than furan 2 dips are supposed to kill it.

I would at the very least wait several more months before adding more zoas if you don't recur the rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;363954 said:
If it were me I wouldn't use it as is. Take no chances. I'd do a bleach dip or a muriatic acid dip, then re-cure everything. I wouldn't want the slightest chance that the pox remain in those rocks....even if you don't intend to add zoas again. Wipe it out. Lots of articles on muriatic acid dips, and bleach dips as well.
Bleach dip? Haven't heard of that before. The rock is nice rock so I want to keep it. I have bactiv8 already and can cure it in that, there's also room in the sump area of my 60 frag for it. Thanks! I'll look up the bleach dip and see what can be seen.

Zatalo

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;363954 said:
+1

Bleach kills anything organic. Both good and bad bugs. Better to start fresh than have it resurface again later

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The directions I saw said to let the rock sit and air dry for 10 days, then add it to a 10/1 solution of water/bleach. Let it sit, I don't recall for how long though. Then put it all in fresh SW and let it sit there for a few days, do a 100% water change with fresh SW and let it sit, then do 1 more water change. From there I would re-cure it.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Take no chances with rock. We bleach dipped and recured every bit of rock that went in our tanks. We didn't measure the bleach, so it was prolly more than a 10:1 ratio. They'd sit in that for a couple of hours. Then we'd soak them in RO for days/weeks to get every last bit of bleach out of them. Dry them in the sun, etc.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;364009 said:
Take no chances with rock. We bleach dipped and recured every bit of rock that went in our tanks. We didn't measure the bleach, so it was prolly more than a 10:1 ratio. They'd sit in that for a couple of hours. Then we'd soak them in RO for days/weeks to get every last bit of bleach out of them. Dry them in the sun, etc.
Thank-you! Haven't ever had to "clean" rock before as my last tank all came from Scott chase and this time all came dry so this was new to me. If we go waaaay back 10 years ago I setup a tank w uncured rock and now that's almost not an option anymore.