looking for some nice hardwood driftwood?

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi everyone. Some of you know that I was working on setting up a 125g tank to be a freshwater planted tank. Well, I'm almost complete and have been looking for some nice driftwood but keep running into soft wood which isn't the best thing to use especially for a discus tank. Anyone have any old used driftwood hanging around or know of where I can find some? I would love to find some malyasian if possible.

Thanks

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you considered manzanita at all? If that's an option, I have a couple sources I could provide. Granted, I haven't purchased any in a couple years but those contacts are likely still very active in the hobby.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
South Broadway Tropicals has really big pieces for decent prices.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;332147 said:
Have you considered manzanita at all? If that's an option, I have a couple sources I could provide. Granted, I haven't purchased any in a couple years but those contacts are likely still very active in the hobby.
Haven't heard of it before, but it looks pretty interesting. Please send me some contact information.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;332211 said:
South Broadway Tropicals has really big pieces for decent prices.
thanks. I'll have to check them out. Do they indicate what type of wood they have or do they just call it driftwood?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kmellon;332251 said:
Haven't heard of it before, but it looks pretty interesting. Please send me some contact information.
The contacts I have are through other fish forums. You may have to join to view this link (if you're not already a member here), but here is who I got my last shipment from:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6639242#post6639242

He will let you cherry pick pieces by the photos posted. Typically...if the photo is still up there the piece is still available. Shipping is pretty reasonable considering the size of the box needed for some pieces. His pieces have some pretty unique colors and streaking through the wood since he collects from areas that forest fires have recently ripped through. :)

The other option is Tom Barr. He has his own forum, and here's a link to his ongoing sale thread:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/16681-For-sale-Gnarled-Manzanita-driftwood-Batch-2-2014?

Haven't purchased from his since most of his pieces are geared toward larger tanks...but he has a really nice selection :)

Last edited by a moderator: