1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Looking to borrow a torch.

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by kchristensen8064, Dec 31, 2018.

1. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Does anyone have one of these propane torches I could borrow for a weekend some time. Preferably up north in the Loveland and surrounding areas. I would just need the torch part of it, magtorch-torches-tanks-mt5500-2-64_1000.jpg I have propane tanks.

2. apex_seeking

apex_seeking Copepod

It looks like a weed burner? If so, I have one you could use. I’m in north Denver, though. Up to you. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

There not to expensive at harbor freight

4. kchristensen8064

Thanks for the replies. I think my wife just bought me one on Amazon. I'm thinking of doing a shou sugi ban type facade for my upcoming 180 build stand. DouglasFir_TS_Natural.jpg

neil82 and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I tried this on some 6 pack carriers that I made for Fathers Day last year. Getting it to look like your reference pic was pretty tough for me, but I was just using a benzomatic torch...like the soldering kind. I ended up going full char, and then sealing the crap out of it....I like the finished product. Also, the wood shrinks when burned! I had everything fully assembled and then charred it and my corners all shrunk up!

DSC02193.JPG

DSC02194.JPG

DSC02195.JPG

6. kchristensen8064

I'm planning on doing the wood before cutting and assembly so I should be able to get around the shrinkage and I'm going to do the full char for the trim on it.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.