What's the Best affordable leds?

Slaterj42

Cleaner Shrimp
Straight up, I can't afford the hydra's or Kessil type brands. So, I have to resort to the cheaper brands. What's the best programmable affordable led light?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Honestly, I think most of the 165w "black box" LED's are primarily the same. I've heard people say the MarsAqua is good @ $116 on Amazon (although I don't know if it is programmable or just on/off). I owned the OceanRevive T247 for a brief time, it has a timer and seemed to work fine, but is like $190 on Amazon.

If I was doing LEDs on a budget I'd get some of the simple on/off style that you can adjust the intensity with a little control knob on top. Plug those into a simple light timer, and let them go to town. I don't know how much of a believer in ramping up and down I am, or other LED gimmicks like thunderstorms, cloudy days, things like that.

Slaterj42

Cleaner Shrimp
I appreciate everyone's input and advice. I think I'm going to try out the Mars Aqua 165w.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check ebay. They had multiple mars aqua for dirt cheap. Like if you buy 2 or 3 they drop to 80 bucks each.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a used reef breeders light for a while and was satisfied with its value.

I use one of the Mars grow lights in my fuge. It works like it’s supposed to as well.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Programmable and cheap are not going to collide in the same sentence. Photon V2 is a good mix of both, but it is not cheap. The Chinese black boxes can work well, but they are not really programmable.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Are you tied to led? The best value for lighting might be t5... halides work well too. It your tank is smallish the halide might be a heat issue for you but really is the best if you can handle the temp. T5 are great without the temp issue. If I wanted to keep price down I’d go with one of those choices.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Check out SB Reef lights. An American company that worked with Chinese light manufacturer to tweak the light spectrum and add wireless functionality. I've been running a set of SB pro's at near 100 percent for 2 years and have no regrets, sps dominated tank grows fast and colors are off the chain.
Also, I know it can be hard to decide on these because there's a lack of examples and pictures that accurately represent the overall look of a tank with less popular fixtures. So if you seriously consider these lights you are welcome to stop by and see a pair in action. I'm in Longmont.