RODI Well Water Advise

Looking for advise on a RODI system for well water. We live in the foothills and have 3a whole house cartridge filter followed by UV sterilizer.

Any recommendations on which RODI to use for well water?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would do a BRS 5 or 6 stage. They are cheap and work well. Make sure to get the 75 gpd or 150 gpd versions. Avoid "high output" versions cause they will eat through resin like nobody's business.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Your gonna eat through DI resin regardless. I have a client who lives just below lookout mountain and is on well water, even with a 5 stage rodi im still changing his DI every few months. He has a very large whole house filter and water softening system that filters the water before the rodi.

I have found that running a high capacity DI resin cartidge followed by a cation DI cartdridge seem to work best and last the longest. Youll also burn through membranes alot faster, i have to change his every couple years.

Im sure theres a better way, i just have yet to find it. The minerals in well water seem to reak havok on rodi filters. On the other hand his freshwater tanks love it, lol.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Have you tested the waters current tds without a filter? Not all well water is the same. Some can be pretty clean and low tds to start, while other can be fairly high

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you know how good or bad your water is? Do you happen to know the TDS? Some well water close to the foothills is excellent and it gets a little less good the further that you get away. I would want to know how bad your water is before I recommend one.

The most important piece is the RO Membrane. You can upgrade to a DOW Filmtec 99% rejection rate membrane that is sometimes good enough to use without DI - this is about $100 more, or so, but worth it. Here in Longmont, our TDS out of the tap is in the 30s and half of it is salt... so 99% rejection puts me at 0, 1 or 2 TDS without any DI. Again, this will depend on how bad or good your well water is.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member