majicmike's 300 build

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I have started to bring home bits for this build. First I got a little skimmer I set it next to a homer bucket. I also started taking some parts and stuff from the 300. I am starting to make plans to install a closed loop on this tank. I am going to be doing a basement sump and will turn my 125 into part of the sump. I think it is going to be a good build, not only the tank but the room in which it is being placed.
View attachment 4840 View attachment 4841 View attachment 4838 View attachment 4839

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;139874 said:
no drain? I have a tube on mine going to a bottle. makes it easy
lol it has a drain it is as big as the 5 gallon bucket lol it is sitting next to the skimmer in the picture.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
majicmike;139906 said:
lol it has a drain it is as big as the 5 gallon bucket lol it is sitting next to the skimmer in the picture.
Oh is that what that is? I thought it was one of those noise cancelling deals like mine has. LOL that thing is a beast...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where are you going to be putting the 300 gallon? Are you going to do a fish room as well?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;140420 said:
Where are you going to be putting the 300 gallon? Are you going to do a fish room as well?
It is going to be a different build I am going to make it a fuax in wall. I have to frame in a hole in the wall that the tv sits in. we will be redoing the floors around the tank. I am building a support wall in the basement so in turn will give me a fish room. I will be doing a dedicated circit as well. So it is going to be a bit of a project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sounds like a great plan!

i seen a post on craigslist and had went and seen all the different things he had. he actually sells furniture and he bought a lot of aquarium stuff at an auction. selling it dirt cheap and has quite a bit of things.. if you want i can try and find his number again...

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the real work starts tomorrow. I will be installing a support wall and braces in the basement framing in the entertainment hole. I thought I would snap a few pictures of the rooms before all the work starts.

First one is as you walk in the door the tank will sit on that wall with the "hole" and flooring will get ripped out and new hard wood floors will go down around the tank.I will use a pond liner under the tank incase of leaks so my new hardwood is protected. A hole will be cut in the floor and the plumbing for the tank will be run downstairs We will also be doing paneling in the room with chair rail and a nice new coat of what I call seafoam green teal/blue. The paneling will be white and wrap around the tank in a way that will look built in. Have not figued out the canopy yet.

Second pictures are of my basement. I will build a support wall and brace the floor for the upstairs. Im also doing a bedroom for one of the kids down there too. Then I will run a dedicated circit for the "fish room". I will use bi-fold doors for the fish room to save money and to make a large opening to move tanks and what not in and out. I will not finish the fish room just to save a few bucks and seems pointless in case there is a leak.
[attachment=60836:name]
[attachment=60835:name]

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
One thought to be aware of is that the floor in your basement is likely a "floating" floor slab (meaning that the floor and walls are not connected). If you plan to brace directly to the floor you might consider measuring the distance from the joists to the floor and measure monthly at a minimum to verify that the floor is not moving up or down which would influence the subfloor of the area where the tank will rest. Which could potentially cause a failure of the floor where the tank is due to the load of 2500+ lbs.

This is the main reason you typically see floating walls or hanging walls in the basements in Colorado, to prevent the walls from becoming damaged (separated or squished with movement) if the floating floor slab in the basement moves.

I got this tip from one of my structural engineer friends when discussing bracing the floor for my new tank......some day down the road.

I'm excited to see this and plan to follow along. Good Luck!! Please continue with the picutres too.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;141412 said:
One thought to be aware of is that the floor in your basement is likely a "floating" floor slab (meaning that the floor and walls are not connected). If you plan to brace directly to the floor you might consider measuring the distance from the joists to the floor and measure monthly at a minimum to verify that the floor is not moving up or down which would influence the subfloor of the area where the tank will rest. Which could potentially cause a failure of the floor where the tank is due to the load of 2500+ lbs.

This is the main reason you typically see floating walls or hanging walls in the basements in Colorado, to prevent the walls from becoming damaged (separated or squished with movement) if the floating floor slab in the basement moves.

I got this tip from one of my structural engineer friends when discussing bracing the floor for my new tank......some day down the road.

I'm excited to see this and plan to follow along. Good Luck!! Please continue with the picutres too.
No for sure it has been taken into account I was a miner for many years and I understand the soil. One thing about buying a new home in colorado is that they give you a soil analisis. I have little to no ground water I have hard compacted sand in my area. 10% benntinite (aka clay) so basicly in my area I have very little soil movement. But even with that said I will keep an eye on the joists as well.

Just woundering how did he tell you to support your floor? Braces between joits over a large area to distribute the weight?

Last edited by a moderator:

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
By sistering the joists. I'm not sure if your tank is running parallel to the joists or perpendicular? In my case it is parallel and all the weight is / will be supported by one maybe two joists. The location in respect to the span of the joist also would be something to take into account.

Sistering the joists the full span(from wall sill to beam) is what I will be doing it's just a pain due to the wires in place.

I just wanted to pass along some information that I thought would be helpful :)

Now back to the build thread.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Busy few days for me framed in a beadroom and the fishroom wall. never mind the mess lol
[attachment=60857:name]
[attachment=60858:name]

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well picked up the tank today.:cigar:

Got it on some saw horses for the time being. Cleand the coraline of the back of the tank.
The busted out the buffer lol. I have a buffer that I use for cars, so I figured I would try it. Used a wool pad and show car glaze #7 and swirl remover lol. It made that old dog look like a new puppy. The shine and clarity are great. The last picture was taken though the same side as the first picture.

Looks like a seam is cracked pretty good will have to fix that. And then re-sheet the stand.
[attachment=60862:name]
p.s. thanks for the help chad