Mandarin Goby

Can you keep a Mandarin Goby in a 60 gallon reef aquarium without feeding it? I had a healthy copapod population, but it still looked like it starved to death.

rjl45

Clown Fish
60gal is considered a min, because the manderins need a TON of copepods to eat. If you have a healthy refugium and plenty of pods going, it might work for you. Keep in mind, these fish will eat hundreds, if not thousands of pods each day.

When I first placed my manderin in my tank, the pods were so thick my water looked cloudy. The fish decimated the pod population in less than 3 days. I have a smaller tank and run 5 phyto cultures to feed my 3 pod cultures to feed my 1 manderin. A lot of work for 1 fish, but I love my manderin!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

zinovate

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you try again, best bet is to get one from Aquatic Arts on special order. He gets in ones that eat frozen. I have one that is doing great in a QT tank only eating frozen and some baby brine I hatch every few days. He could honestly do without any live food.
Now they are not cheap but what's a dead fish worth is how I compensated for the extra cost.
Last order here: http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum...d-mandarin-gobies-round-2-other-items-as-well
I'm sure he will do another in time.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
A LFS store told me that the psychedelic ones might grow to big for it but the targets stay relatively small. I picked up a target in my 60 cube and he's been doing great for the past month/ month half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
I had the same thing happen with my mandarins, totally wiped out the pod population within a couple days, but I successfully trained them (pair) onto frozen without too much trouble. I would recommend feeding them, they are ravenous fish, but so worth the effort.