MASC Science Fair Competition 2012

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;128766 said:
So can I get a ruling from the BOD?
Would it be against the rules to post a topic on what people of MASC would like to see tested? A poll so to speak. Not that I would do what the poll says, but if so, I would want to make sure it wasnt a DQ, seen as a team or outside help.
i dont see a problem with it however beware that someone could steal you idea like that and someone might say hey i was already thinking of that

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
bgrimm;128781 said:
what were the projects last year?
You going to make an experiment!?!? Haven't seen you for a while man.

dv3;128782 said:
i dont see a problem with it however beware that someone could steal you idea like that and someone might say hey i was already thinking of that
+1, you may just be feeding your competition ideas

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;128314 said:
The winner will also receive a prize equal to $500.​

It has now been confirmed that this will be a $500 CASH PRIZE!!!!

This is pretty big guys! This will give you money to do ANYTHING with! Spend it while you are at MACNA 2012 to buy more corals/fish, new products coming out at MACNA, etc. You can use it to pay bills, get your christmas money early, put a down payment on a new car, buy more reef stuff! A few more things to come down the pipeline! Remember, at the moment ALL forms need to be submitted to a BOD member at the end of December! I know of around 4 people who wanted to join right off the bat, please make arrangements with BOD members to get them that paperwork ASAP.​

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
good luck to all the contestants this year.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
well folks as far as i know we have zero applicants .....what up wit dat?
you got 3 days to enter ...or i suppose i could take the free trip to MACNA

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry I'm with family for the holidays and have very small amount of time for the Internet. So far little fish, the fish man, and oaty fruity will be competing. I have all of their applications :)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
well atleast we have some applicants but 3 cmon people thats more judges than applicants ...lets get some more entries!

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright so we have 4 official participants and one more person on the fence! The official participants are:

little Fish
Oaty Fruity
the fish man
Tripple T

Just to clarify, the application just has to be physically written out. BUT it can be faxed, emailed, or snail mailed to a BOD member. That should make things easier for everyone else in case you cannot meet up with us. Hopefully we can secure that person on the fence, and hopefully we can get a few more people to jump in these last few days! I would have thought that the members of MASC would have jumped on the opportunity to win a FREE trip to MACNA 2012 AND $500 in cash!!! Seems not I guess???

Remember, your project doesn't have to be costly, it doesn't have to be the prettiest, just gotta be scientific and get some sort of result, even if it's a $10 project!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where do we give are report about are project to the judges? (Do I email it or just post it or what?)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i think that we should should open a new sub-forum for this with only the judges and participants having access ...save us the hassle of dealing with OT posts :)

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright so we have agreed to extend the application process for this until the end of January. We are doing this because of the holiday season, we thought that because everyone spends a lot of time in their personal lives and with family that this took time out of this process that you might have needed. All this means is that those who enter now, are a few weeks to a month behind those who have already entered. If you would like to enter now, please just email the BOD OR PM one of the BOD members. I really was hoping that the added $500 CASH prize would entice more people to enter and I'm kind of stunned that it didn't!! We still do have more entrants than last year which is a bonus!!

It is now the period of time where our entrants discuss their projects with the judges for the next few months(I will contact the judges). Please, ask them questions, let them know how,what, when you will be researching things. Hopefully they will be able to lend you a hand with anything you might need!! This thread will still be open to serve this purpose, BUT IF YOU ARE NOT AN ENTRANT OR A JUDGE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD, ANY OF THOSE POSTS WILL BE DELETED! If you are not an entrant or a judge and need further assistance or have questions please contact a BOD member.

The people who have already entered are:

Little Fish
The Fish Man
OatyFruity
Tripple T
Tabasco (greenspoon)
Scuba Steve

Good luck to all of those who have entered, and to all of those people who might enter in the extension period!!

Have the entrants prepared proposals of their topics as well as their plans on how they intend to run the experiments? One of my personal goals here as a "juach" (judge+coach) is to try to help entrants avoid pitfalls in their methodologies and thus raise the bar of what's being done - I hope to see results that really "mean something".