MASC Science Fair

rockys_pride;57493 said:
I was saying that I don't know enough about the hobby to start testing theories. As of now I just believe what I'm told.
Take something someone has told you and see if it is true from a scientific stand point.

Need a topic visit some reef sites go to the newbie or help pages and test some of the theories that are presented either as solutions or no you can't do that. Another thing you can try take a product and test if it really does what it claims

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just an idea someone could try: I would like to know at what strength magnesium kills off bryopsis, or if that alone will actually do the trick.

Aku

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mantid;57528 said:
Just an idea someone could try: I would like to know at what strength magnesium kills off bryopsis, or if that alone will actually do the trick.
Haha. That was the only one I had come up with so far. Like everything in the hobby there are so many variables that can affect it. I'm having a hard time pinpointing something that would be actually testable and not circumstantial.

With the magnesium example, I have heard that only kent tech m kills the stuff.. but I assume that your lighting, nutrients, all play a role. So, a possible test would be run three bryopsis laden systems all with the same lights, similar nutrient. Dose one with Kent, Seachem ions, and use the last as a control.

That sounds like a challenge and a lot of work. I'm just having a hard time finding something that would not give a lot of room for folks to dispute the results no matter how small the "scope" of the test is. But I think it is a cool idea, and if we think about it it is possible to carve out a nice little experiment that people could take benefit from.

Rocky's I'm in the same boat you are(not having nearly the amount of knowledge as some of the people on the forums). But I think that is kind of the point. It gives us all an opportunity to pick one small aspect of reef keeping and become an expert on it which can benefit everybody even the guys that know "everything".

I like the idea. I just don't know how much time I can commit to it. Maybe I just need to find the right thing to look into.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok so my subject is ...drum roll please!
Can you grow corals under 1 watt led lighting

i will document growth, par, calcium, alk, mag.,sg, and temp about once a month over a 6 month period ...
it probably won't win but its something simple that i can do with my current system and just document the results for others to see

* i haven't actually read the requirements so hopefully i can make this fit the criteria ...lol

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
great, I just finished my school science fair project, I'd like to enter it in this contest as well.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The project is on ocean/aquarium acidification due to H2C03.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, will we be showing a display board, or sending a hard copy/ packet of the project?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Exhibits should fit on or take up a standard 6ft table area.
A project data book and research paper are required for each project. Pictures and Videos are also HIGHLY recommended. The more detail the better

ALL the projects will be displayed at our meeting in May. During this process the BOD will judge all of them and choose the best 3. From these 3, a pair of "special judges" will decide the winner. You'll also get to display your project at MACNA 2011!!

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
who do I give the form to and when?

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
no! like should I give it to them at a meeting, or mail it, what?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can hand it to a board member at any time. During a meeting, at a swap, if you see us on the streets, whenever. I'm sure you have a couple BOD members near you might be able to deliver it?

Oceans

Cleaner Shrimp
I might try and do something with regards to energy consumption. Maybe making a reef tank that uses zero electricity. Just talking out loud. Seems like it would be possible to use solar panels to charge everything. Having a battery backup system similar to the Vortech pumps.

Oceans

Cleaner Shrimp
I was thinking leds that when on charge the battery backup. Maybe putting solar panels on the side and having to put the tank near a window.