MASC Science Fair

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd just bring it for the corals, since well... these projects are supposed to be about aquariums.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My project is about H2CO3 and it's effects of pH, coral health, and coral plankton consumption. I did the plankton consumption so I could have some quantitative date.

Super cool idea. Hopefully it can become an annual event. Or possibly even get blown up to a bigger level and clubs from different areas could put together a project to compete against each other. Would be a great way to advance the hobby. The club could come up with a project and members would be responsible for conducting the experiments as defined and then there would be a greater pool of data for examination. Or club could do this on it's own without competition from other clubs and then post results...

Alot of potential there.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yep i managed to make a mini refugium and get two tanks and am getting algae to grow for my experiment already all with only 3 betta tanks. Under 2 hours of DIY projects and all under $15 dollars

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;68370 said:
yep i managed to make a mini refugium and get two tanks and am getting algae to grow for my experiment already all with only 3 betta tanks. Under 2 hours of DIY projects and all under $15 dollars
you should make a thread asking for dino for your test because thats what H202 does actually kill ...

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
really? Well i will do that does it killl some algae to though

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will try to get some of my pics up i took so many i had to upload them to my computer a couple times and clear them on my camera for more pics. So i have pics done now for vids

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
well i guess i dont have pics done yet i still have to start testing

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;68380 said:
really? Well i will do that does it killl some algae to though
yes it does appear to kill dino which is what it is really used for ...and something that is typically very difficult to get rid ...so it seems to be a great treatment for that ....but i don't think anyone had much luck using it for HA ( i know i didn't) ...since your experimenting though you can increase your dosage and see what it takes to kill it if at all and maybe what doses are safe for reefs

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ohhh good idea well i guess it time to say good bye to some frags that i hate lol

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
H202 kills most life forms, hence why we have enzymes.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;68417 said:
Well, hopefully you guys don't give away too much in this thread! I'm excited to see them in person! Also can't wait to see the workbook!
sorry ...he had already started another thread about it ...thats how i knew

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya sorry i just had a couple questions

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;68421 said:
how does one go about getting aquarium coupons?
Well some how i got on their mailing list so every month we get tons of coupons

Bummer, this looks like fun. Hope they do something like this next year!