Foxface with bump and discoloration on lower fin

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good Afternoon everyone,

So about a week ago I got a Foxface and a couple of Anthias from my LFS and placed them into QT. I took a week to observe them and everything appeared to be fine and the Foxface colored up and began swimming around the tank with the Anthias. No aggression problems noticed and the Foxface would generally flash when I came into the room but once settle he was smooth. Yesterday my wife noticed a nod or bump on his lower fin which had not been their earlier. Additionally the fins between the spines appear to have changed from a yellow to a white color. Ive been looking online for what it could be and I have not found anything definitive yet. I was wondering what ya'll think and course of treatment which might be recommended.

Also, currently the tank is in copper treatment mode and has been at full dose as of 2 days ago with coppermine being the product added. There is no Ammonia present in the tank and a 50% water change was preformed the day copper was added to the tank for the first time (3 days ago). I have found long stringy grey poop in the bottom of the tank a couple times so I don't know if this is an indication of an internal parasite. All the fish have been eating well since getting them into the tank. As for the QT tank it is a standard 55 gallon tank. Anything else please ask! View attachment 10488 View attachment 10489 View attachment 10490 View attachment 10491 View attachment 10488 View attachment 10489 View attachment 10490 View attachment 10491

Thanks for the help everyone and look forward to hearing from you.

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Blaz, I'm sorry that i did not get back to you but I ended up getting swamped with not only that but also worms in the foxface and Anthias got flukes. It has been a busy week in QT but thankfully not in the display tank. I think you were right on Lipomacysts for the foxface. I ended up getting him on a food additive to his pellets and the cyst started to shrink today. One treatment in for the worms, fresh water dips completed for the Anthias and Paraguard added to the tank has made a huge difference. Crossing my fingers for all of them but they seem to be on an upward trend (knock on wood).

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good job following a solid QT protocol. Sucks to deal with this stuff, but so much easier than worrying about this in your display tank.

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good job following a solid QT protocol. Sucks to deal with this stuff, but so much easier than worrying about this in your display tank.
Thank you skyshark, it was tough at first but after catching the first fish out of the qt tank to do a freshwater dip I realized it was well with it. Gosh they are tricky, fast little suckers!

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
So a little update to the tank. The foxface is looking good and his cyst had recessed. It looks like you were right blaz, I started to feed with vitamin enhancers and also cured a stomach parasite that he had and now he is getting fatter and eating well. Now the male Anthias is not eating and has some damage to his fins and mouth. He stopped eating after 2 doses of Kanoplex which he received because I thought I had an issue with fin rot. The ammonia had also gotten a little high but 2 50% water changes have help significantly in the water quality. They also got through their Coppermine treatment so the water will just keep getting better and better. I hope he will turn things around but it seems to be a waiting game right now.

I have seen some aggression being displayed by the female in the tank and noticed in the last couple of days that the male's lips appeared almost chapped and cracking. I am guessing that the male and female are fighting and she is getting the better of him as he is in a weakened state. She is healthy as and ox and eating like a pig so it may just be aggression issues. I think tonight I am going to put a plastic divider between the two and observe what the separation does for his eating and health. Any other suggestions are always appreciated. oh and they are square back anthias (about 5" long and were both well colored and well behaved when first purchased. Also both had been eating like pigs before this week.

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
So good news, the Foxface is alive and well in the QT tank and so are the Anthias. As I explained previously the supplemented food was great and worked really well. Also after a copper treatment was finished I treated with Paraguard for 2 weeks and the Anthias began to brighten and heal up. So everything looks good aside from white poop from the inhabitants which is being treated with Dr G's gut buster (de-wormer). So everyone has looked good the last two weeks and looking forward to introducing then into the tank one of these days. Thanks again for the help and diagnosis and hope everyone has a good day!