Miracle ich treatment?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually I was surprised I just saw those until tonight, didn't find them and have done quinine / CP searches quite a bit. I think I found those when I searched "chloroquine phosphate display tank". or when i clicked my heels together three times and threw my laptop out the window.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Miracle ich treatment?

Oh that's my issue, I'm only clicking mine twice.

Any LFS want to get some of this food? Since the private individual can't seem to buy it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's my Q&A on on the CP ebay auction. LOL, looks like I hit the nail on the head. 100% risky but hey, at least he's 100% honest. I just ordered, heck, why not.

+++
Dear bigfish$$,
Hi, I may order some of this. Curious as to the method for packing it, the source, how to ensure it remains sterile/pure during the packing process, etc. Can you just give me a brief overview. Thanks!

+++

I bought a kilo from FishMan Chemical. I am keeping 250g for my personal use and selling the rest. I am a hobbyist....I do not have any high tech methods for packaging. I store the medication in a cupboard(dark)inside a tupperware container(airtight)in the original bag that it came in. I use a new dixie cup and a plastic spoon to weigh out what is ordered and then pour that into the ziplock bag that you see in the description and stick a label on it.

+++

Now I'll go see if I can find on eBay a keg of homemade workout energy shots that someone mixed in their bathtub.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, I talked to Dr. Fishman. All I can say is, wow. Maybe I will order a kilo for my own use.

He suggests running CP and Prazi year round, in display, as prophylactic. Obviously this only works in Fish Only tank. But this is what restaurants and Bass Pro shops (his biggest clients) do, have done for 10 years...he, their vets on staff all agree with this approach and none of these places have any disease issues.

He suggests doing this with just CP if Prazi is cost prohibitive.

Short of that, if dealing with an outbreak, he suggests daily/nightly doses of 1gram per 100 gallons, water changes every 10 days, skimmer/carbon off if you can but not necessary. Display tank water willl start to cloud after 24 hours of a dose, for this reason he suggests daily small water changes (but I can live with cloudiness and will just do every 10 days).

Half life of a dose is 12 hours, so dosing then leaving for a week probably won't work.

Reef tank, his clients that use CP as quarantine for new arrivals rarely experience issues. Most of his big clients are fish only displays (restaurants etc).

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a kilo of this stuff from Dr Fishman a couple of years ago. I still have over a pound and a half. If someone wants some I can hook you up. The only issue is that it says the expiration was 8/2012. Not sure if it really expires but if you want some ping me. Also, it is light sensitive so if you keep your lights off you can extend the dosage life.

Adam

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Jamie you should jump on it!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

fiji4118;230835 said:
I bought a kilo of this stuff from Dr Fishman a couple of years ago. I still have over a pound and a half. If someone wants some I can hook you up. The only issue is that it says the expiration was 8/2012. Not sure if it really expires but if you want some ping me. Also, it is light sensitive so if you keep your lights off you can extend the dosage life.

Adam
Pm sent

daverf;230808 said:
OK, I talked to Dr. Fishman. All I can say is, wow. Maybe I will order a kilo for my own use.

He suggests running CP and Prazi year round, in display, as prophylactic. Obviously this only works in Fish Only tank. But this is what restaurants and Bass Pro shops (his biggest clients) do, have done for 10 years...he, their vets on staff all agree with this approach and none of these places have any disease issues.

He suggests doing this with just CP if Prazi is cost prohibitive.

Short of that, if dealing with an outbreak, he suggests daily/nightly doses of 1gram per 100 gallons, water changes every 10 days, skimmer/carbon off if you can but not necessary. Display tank water willl start to cloud after 24 hours of a dose, for this reason he suggests daily small water changes (but I can live with cloudiness and will just do every 10 days).

Half life of a dose is 12 hours, so dosing then leaving for a week probably won't work.

Reef tank, his clients that use CP as quarantine for new arrivals rarely experience issues. Most of his big clients are fish only displays (restaurants etc).
Interesting, the speaker at RS had several things he does to keep his fish healthy. He does use prazi. Hopefully I can grab Fijis cp

MartinsReef;230837 said:
Jamie you should jump on it!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Already on it

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
fiji4118;230835 said:

Adam
Adam, I don't have a scale. Any idea how many grams are in a teaspoon? Or whatever measure you know/remember in dosing it? Thanks!

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry it took a while to respond. I use to have this all worked out on my old tank but lost that computer so apparently that data is gone as well. I have a gram scale and a level 1/4 tsp is about a gram. So if you are dosing 10mg/L that works out to about 40mg/G. Still not much help. So divide 1000mg/1G by 40 and you get 25. So it looks like a level 1/4 tsp per 25 gallons will give you the basic level of 10mg/L (almost). What I have read is that it is very difficult to OD this so it would seem safe to dose 3/8 tsp (1/4 and 1/8) and that would still put you at a reasonable level. I would not take this as gospel. Double check dosing levels with Dr. Fishman or the speaker from Reefstock ( I missed this one so not sure who that was). Then go from there. As a side note, I did read about a product that does not cause the blindness issues in fish over long exposure like CP does. Long expose as I understand it is over a year with it in the system. That drug is plaquenil hydroxychhloroquine. Not sure where to get it or the dosage but I understand it works even better in crypto. Feel free to ping me if you have any other questions. And remember this is not a coral safe product. It wiped out the algae in my refugium and I tossed in some GSP to see what they thought of it and they died as well. Fish did mostly well. Tangs, triggers, wrasses and angels did ok. My lionfish died within hours of the first dose so not sure if it is good for them.

Adam

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Adam, great info. Thanks! I've gotta LOL on all the dosage differences "from the source" that I've got. I called back the Doc...also inquired with Thomas Labs, who makes Quine Forte (I suggested to Jaime earlier)...incidentally who also gets their raws from the Doc...so I got 2 different answers from Doc (first - 5-7 grams per tsp, second - half that)...then Thomas Labs tells me 12 grams per tsp...emailed with they guy I bought my supply from on ebay who (like you) used a scale and he tells me about what you said (3.2G/tsp) so that's pretty close to your measure... My company sources raw food powders for products so I know somewhat that measures can change depending on humidity, density, powder structure etc so maybe some of that is at play.

Anyway...here's what I'm doing for my 200 gallon tank...since for now I only see mild display tank Ich issues: 1/2 tsp at AM, repeat at PM, no carbon or skimming, lights off, normal water change schedule (about 10-20% once weekly). Will try that for 3 weeks. This is more of a prophylactic dose but we'll see what happens.

Fishman says the half life is 12 hours, and that light affects the stability versus life, so I figure this dosage method far superior to the conventional method of a large single dose once every week...and hey, if it has worked for 10+ years for the big outfist (Bass Pro Shops etc) then its worth a trial run for me...

Jaime mentioned the other quinine drug to me as well - I will try that next (if this doesn't work). It is possible that the Harlequin Tusk that I had go blind was due to quinine sulfate (during my last Ich tank wipeout last year - which I thought was kicked by a fallow tank run - and why I'm cautious with current fish population in seeing that it did not fully die off in my tank).

(By the way Adam, have you put pics of your FOWLR up anywhere, would be great to see).

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Dave. Just passing along what I have figured out. Unfortunately I took down my FOWLR a couple of weeks ago. Going to stick with the reef. I am listing it here and Craigslist later today if someone is looking for a 110G.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks a lot to Fiji for helping out a fellow reefer! Day 1, Woot!

Maybe you guys can help me out, because I can't seem to find the answer on Lougle. I pre-mix with RO before pouring in correct?

Do I turn off my bio-pellets?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;232294 said:
Thanks a lot to Fiji for helping out a fellow reefer! Day 1, Woot!

Maybe you guys can help me out, because I can't seem to find the answer on Lougle. I pre-mix with RO before pouring in correct?

Do I turn off my bio-pellets?
According to Dr Fishman, you don't have to turn off pellets. But they recommend skimmer off and carbon out.

I just mix mine in the tank water, in a pitcher, before dumping it in. RO would probably be fine too.

I'll have to research leamisole, thanks.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
CP seemed to be my savior. I suggest anyone dealing with crypto to at least consider this course.

Further discussion...,
I've been reading WWM feverishly trying to find the best dosing schedule. It seems to vary from time to time, maybe CP strength variations? Anyway, gonna call the Dr. today too find out the latest dosing info. There seems to be contradiction on its photosensitivity, the doc believes that its not, Bob G swears that it is. Best WWM answer I found, photo exposure accelerates decomposition. That doesn't say anything about half life, could be 24 hours (as previously stated) or an eon. I'm sure Dr fishman can clear the air, if only I could get a hold of him..