1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Mixing Radion Gens ( 3 and 4)

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by Colored Sticks, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Colored Sticks

Colored Sticks Copepod

Has anyone visually seen a difference between a gen 3 pro and gen 4pro ?

Starting the process for my new tank build and don't really want to replace all my current G3 pro radions. The new tank is larger and would require two additional radions. Would the mismatch in generations make any actual difference to the naked eye. ( I understand there might be some par difference and diffused coverage.) Or is there some reason one should not add g4 to g3. Seems like it shouldn't matter at all, but worth a post.

It is becoming very hard to find good condition Gen3 Pros for sale? If anyone knows anyone who needs to get ride of any please let me know.

2. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I cannot speak to Gen3/4, but I am running a Gen 1 and Gen 2 on the same tank and cannot visually tell the difference. I haven't done any scientific research or experimentation, but my corals all have good color and growth.

3. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Shark Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Its not incredibly noticeable. The gen 4s do have an additional white and blue diode as well so there is a slight spectrum difference, but too visable
    to the naked eye.

4. Colored Sticks

Colored Sticks Copepod

Did you mean not too viable? Also if you put diffusers on them I would assume it would help blend the spectrum differences?

5. quackenbush

quackenbush Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a G3 and a G3 pro paired together. The pro has 4 more LEDs and is "whiter" due to 2 of the 4 LEDs being yellow if I recall correctly (blue for the other 2). I just place the pro over the "deep water"side of the tank - that's what Radion claims the pros are for anyway, deeper light penetration. I'd have to look at the par readings to see if there's a significant difference. I think there was, but the biggest thing I discovered through the par meter is that having the two lights placed to close together created a serious bright spot right between the two lights.

6. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Shark Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

I meant visable