Montipora Eating Nudibranch infestation

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Title says it all... i've got Montipora Eating Nudibranchs... my montipora corals are being decimated :hurt:. I've accepted that they are going to be a total loss, but I haven't been able to bring myself to cut them out and toss them yet. There's no way i'd be able to dip everything and save them - there are too many nudis and the eggs are tough to kill. The only wrasse I have is a
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse and he shows no interest in the little buggers (not really surprised there).
I'm assuming that they are obligate feeders on Montipora tissue and will eventually die off without any montipora prey. Is this sound logic? I have no idea how long that might take, but I imagine it will be awhile.
Anyone else dealt with these guys before? I've dipped every coral i've added to the tank, so i'm guessing there were eggs hidden on something I added recently that survived the dip.
Here is a pic of one I pulled off my purple digi (the pin is there for size reference).
View attachment 22578

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
That really sucks buddy. Once you're sure they're gone hit me up and I cut a bunch of stuff.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;339866 said:
That really sucks buddy. Once you're sure they're gone hit me up and I cut a bunch of stuff.
Thanks. I appreciate that. This hobby sure does have some serious highs and lows.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had them two years ago I through alot of it away and then kept the center sections of it. Then get yourself six line wrasses and yellow choris wrasses are great also

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Me too, I have a lot of monti's I can frag for you - never had these - sorry to hear.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
+1 to coris wrasse seemed to take care of my issues when I has them as well a few years ago. All though I did trash a lot of them out of fear/anger lol. If there are lots, I would maybe test lots of coral dips just to see what happens to nudis

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;339870 said:
I had them two years ago I through alot of it away and then kept the center sections of it. Then get yourself six line wrasses and yellow choris wrasses are great also
Cool. I was hoping to avoid adding any more fish, but I may have to.

DyM;339872 said:
Me too, I have a lot of monti's I can frag for you - never had these - sorry to hear.
The purple digis i got from you a year ago had been growing like crazy. Getting rid of them is going to make my tank look empty :/

CRW Reef;339873 said:
+1 to coris wrasse seemed to take care of my issues when I has them as well a few years ago. All though I did trash a lot of them out of fear/anger lol. If there are lots, I would maybe test lots of coral dips just to see what happens to nudis
I hear yah on the anger part - i'm there. I'll do some tests on the various dips I have - maybe we will all be able to learn something from this.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have had luck killing them by dipping the montis in seachem reef dip. The adults went limp, died and fell off after about 4 minutes. I hate those little buggers. Sorry you are dealing with them.

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had that problem last year I got a mandarin and a yellow corse wrasse it took care of them quick didn't lose any colony's. ..pods will take care of the eggs....Ill hook you up with a few bottle of pods for free hit me up if your interested. ..

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;339878 said:
I have had luck killing them by dipping the montis in seachem reef dip. The adults went limp, died and fell off after about 4 minutes. I hate those little buggers. Sorry you are dealing with them.
I have some Reef Dip. I'll test that, Revive, Coral Rx, and Bayer.

Rumen;339879 said:
I had that problem last year I got a mandarin and a yellow corse wrasse it took care of them quick didn't lose any colony's. ..pods will take care of the eggs....Ill hook you up with a few bottle of pods for free hit me up if your interested. ..
Interesting. I didnt know the mandarin would eat those. Thanks for the pod offer. I'll hit you up for some.

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya I didn't know about the mandarin either ki from keys island told me about it but I got the wrasse and the mandarin at the same time though so who knows as long as it works. ...

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bigger hermits, arrow crabs and shrimp will eat them and the eggs. So will aggressive starfish. You need Halichloeres or Pseudocheilinus wrasses, not fairy and flasher.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;339911 said:
Bigger hermits, arrow crabs and shrimp will eat them and the eggs. So will aggressive starfish. You need Halichloeres or Pseudocheilinus wrasses, not fairy and flasher.

+1 and Great White is getting in a melanurus wrasse in today.

and a pic of one to convince you :p

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tested the four dips I had the other day. Coral Rx, Revive, and Reef Dip all killed the nudibranchs within five minutes at their respective recommended strengths. Bayer did not affect the nudibranchs at all. I was having trouble spotting the eggs and telling if they were killed because they are so small, so unfortunately I don't have any insight to give there.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear man! I went through that recently right after MACNA. I lost everything I had. Its been several months now and I noticed some of the encrusting ones I had are starting to grow back from what must have been the tiniest bit of dna left on the rock.

I wish you luck on the little bastards they suck. I dip everything and inspect everything as well. Just goes to show QT is the only way to be sure.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If coral QT is not an option, then dip frags that have been removed from the bases, rocks or plugs. No colonies. Eggs are easy to spot on the corals, but not so easy on the rocks or plugs nearby.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
How come all the beautiful wrasses mentioned are listed as not reef safe, and for fish only. I don't get it, is it because the attack shrimp, snails, and crabs?