Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
majicmike;252033 said:
Shhh no one needs to know about me knowing how to polish. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
So how much of the Novus 1, 2, & 3 should I order? What grit sandpaper? Can I get away with using my cordless drill and an orbital sander? Found the Novus equip on Amazon but does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy it?

300 DD build and fundraiser

I resurfaced a 180 I started with 800 grit and worked up to like 3000, I used a sander that the sandpaper was cut to fit and kept the surface wet. After I sanded I used a orbital buffer and a few bonnets I went thru 2 smaller bottles of each novus for the 180. If I had to do it over I would spend the money and purchase the polishing kit that novus makes and is sold on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Ordered Novus 1, 2, & 3. Hopefully be polishing by next week. I'm going to check auto parts stores and Rockler for high grit sandpaper. I'll see what I can find.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So the holes drilled in the overflows are only big enough to accommodate 1" bulkheads. Should I drill bigger and go to 1 1/2" holes? I am thinking about upgrading the pump to a Reeflo Blowhole from the Iwaki 70.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

A 1" bulkhead will handle 1200 GPS I believe so that's 2400 gph how much flow you going to put through it? You could also add one more 1"

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
If I end up ordering a blowhole it can run up to 2700 gph. So if the two overflows can pull 2400 they might be okay.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I would go with dart hybrid you can get them off eBay for 200. That way you can build manifold and run anything you want off it. Even maybe a coral flat for teaching the kids aquaculture and fragging brahaha

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Andrew_bram;252510 said:
I would go with dart hybrid you can get them off eBay for 200. That way you can build manifold and run anything you want off it. Even maybe a coral flat for teaching the kids aquaculture and fragging brahaha
I'm not sure which route to take. I liked the variable speed of the blowhole and you seemed really pleased with it. I already have a manifold that I ran off of the Iwaki 70 so I think it would work. My other thought is to run a closed loop with the 70 and using the blowhole to run the return and manifold. For the closed loop I might use the hole from the return since it is pretty deep in the water and either drill the bottom in 2 places or towards the bottom of the back of the tank. If I do the closed loop I'll just run PVC over the top of the tank for returns from the sump and have a canopy.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Steel is in and we should have something resembling a stand tomorrow night or Thursday night. The stand will be built in two parts so it will fit through the door. Both parts will be identical and be 72" x 24" wide x 40" high. The inside height will end up being about 35" after plywood.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
[attachment=64643:name]Stand is mostly complete thanks to Ameet Patel. The art teacher at my school. While he did teach me how to weld I'd rather have perfect welds than a new skill under my belt. Few more welds to finish then grinding the welds and paint. We would have finished last night but we were pushing 2:30 when we quit.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Actually the two pieces are upside down and I will bolt them together at school.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Thanks guys! He really did an awesome job. The corners are miter cuts and his welds are perfect. If he had let me do anymore it would have looked like a 3 year old put it together and I would have had another flood on my hands!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Stand is fully assembled. Just needs paint. I was thinking of just going black. [attachment=64649:name]

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I actually have a small extension so that half or so of the sump can stick out of the right side. I'm going to cover the stand and sump with some cabinetry. I want some of the sump exposed so that I can easily access it. I plan to have some counter top over it but it will not have it glued or screwed in place so I can remove it.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Just ordered 160 lbs. of sand from Marco Rocks. That should give me about 4" if my math is right.