my mag 9.5 for your mag 5 or 7 or equivalent

Hello there,

I have a mag 9.5 in very good condition. My new set up is a 45g and as a return this is just a bit too much. I would like to trade it for your very good condition mag 5 or 7 or an equivilent rated pump.

I am in Vail, but will be in Denver on Wed. April 6 and could do a trade then unless you are planning to be up in the high country.

Let me know if you have any questions.

It is older, I purchased about 9 yrs ago, but it only ran for maybe a year and has been stored well. It is very clean. I plugged it in the other day in the tub and she ran just as strong as always.

I can post pics tomorrow after work if you would like.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mag 9 too much flow in a 45? I would just split the return.
I used a mag 12 on my 46 bowfront.

Tabasco

Clown Fish
You think a mag 9 would be ok? I have a ball valve on the output to restrict flow if needed. I am not set up yet. But plan was to split the return. I posted on another forum and thought was that it would be too much and that a smaller return would be better.

Did you use a restrictor of any kind on the mag 12? Are you still running it like that? Did it shorten the life of the pump?

Tabasco

Clown Fish
Sorry for the false post! ... I think I am going to give it a whirl with the mag 9 and see how it goes. Might be reposting this after! :)

Don't restrict the main return line without giving the excess water pressure someplace to go. If you don't, it will heat up the pump and your water. Possibly cause early pump failure.

You need a simple bypass line.

Put a Tee in the main return line right off the pump outlet. Pipe that Tee over to your skimmer area where the main drain from the tank dumps into the sump. Put a ball valve in the main return line just past the Tee. Pump can still pump at full speed but you can regulate flow back into the tank with the valve. Excess water is pumped back to sump. Pump runs at full speed and does not build excess heat from restriction.

Lug any motor or engine down. What happens? Heat builds up. What causes most mechanical failures on machines or simple devices with moving parts? Heat.

Don't lug it down by ONLY using a ball valve on the return line. Put a Tee in there and let the excess water go somewhere.