Water Change System

Diddle822

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got a couple water containers and I'm looking to setup a station. I'd like to pump it up to my 1st floor from basement. I'm thinking I'll just plumb the pvc in the wall and have a outlet to hook up a hose to. That is how I would do water changes because I have 2 tanks upstairs a 72 and a 40 but in different rooms. Been looking at some cool setups but wondering what everyone else has setup.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
How long of a run would it be to the farthest tank?
I just put a tee on the mixing tank plumbing and made a 40' braided vinyl hose that has a few quick connects on it, so I can lengthen or shorten to my needs. When I want to pump it upstairs I use the valve to turn off the circulation in the mixing tank, and then push it up the hose. So far working great and sure beats hauling buckets up the stairs

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My sump is in the basement and my display is 1 floor above it. When I do a water change, I siphon out of both locations until I take 3 x 7.5 gal buckets and 1 x 5 gal bucket worth of water out. Then I flip some valves and pump the fresh mix SW into the sump and pump it into the system. Doesn't matter if I pull all 4 buckets of waste water out of the main display or from the sump, once I begin filling the sump with freshly mixed SW I can turn the return pump back on and I never overflow the sump or anything like that.

If I am feeling lazy or there isn't a lot of detritus that needs to be taken out I can flip a few valves and pump water our of the sump and down a drain until the water level hits a mark I made on my sump as the low water mark. Then I just flip some more valves and re-fill it. That's my no bucket fast WC.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use my pump from the WC station to push water through the hose upstairs to my tank.

I have. Build thread on here as well

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like to use soft hoses, but you have to make sure that they are not full of metals and toxins. I have one that I got a while back that is 100 feet long and collapses when you are not using it for easy storage (like you have seen on TV) - it is contaminate free and safe for drinking water.

You are going to need a pretty serious pump to handle the head. I use a Panworld, but an Iwaki or GenX are good too. I also have a Mag 24 that will easily handle the pressure if I use a container with no external access. I would just get a used pump.

Honestly, if I am just changing less than 10G of water, I just carry a few buckets... this is still easier than getting everything out and cleaning up.

Diddle822

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting thanks for the responses guys I got a couple questions on each system but I'll have to write them down. Also ill search your build thread Irshman